Craft this Fall Wall Hanging using repurposed fabric scraps and our easy-to-follow appliqué tutorial.
- Printable Pattern (Below)
- Rotary cutter and mat
- 1/3 yd. dark-green patterned fabric for backing and tabs
- ¼ yd. dark-orange patterned fabric for border
- Fabric scraps in a variety of patterns in yellow, orange, light brown and tan patterns for corner squares, leaves, acorns and pumpkin
- 1/4 yd. paper-backed fusible web
- Tracing paper and pencil
- 1/3 yd. tear-away stabilizer
- Standard sewing supplies
- Coordinating thread for each fabric
- Sewing machine
- 1/3 yd. low-loft craft batting
- Four 1/2-in. green buttons
- 12 in. dried stick
- Download and print pattern here.
- From dark-green fabric, cut two 18-5/8 in. x 9 in. pieces for backing and four 4-1/2 in. x 2 in. strips for hanging tabs.
- From dark-orange fabric, cut two 16 in. x 1 in. strips for vertical borders and two 6-1/2 in. x 1 in. strips for horizontal borders.
- From yellow scraps, cut four 2-1/2 in. x 3-1/2 in. strips for leaves.
- From orange patterned fabric scraps, cut two 2-1/2 in. x 3-1/2 in. strips for leaves.
- From orange patterned scrap, cut a 6-in. square for pumpkin.
- From light-brown scrap, cut one 1-1/2-in. square for acorn tops.
- From tan scrap, cut one 1-1/2 in. x 2 in. piece for acorn bottoms.
- From yellow scraps, cut one 4-in. x 1-in. strip for border corner
- Excluding dark-green backing pieces and tab strips, fuse wrong side of all other cut fabric pieces to paper-backed fusible web according to manufacturer’s instructions. Let cool. Cut out around edge of each, leaving paper backing intact.
- Trace leaf, acorn and pumpkin patterns onto tracing paper and cut out.
- Trace each pattern onto paper side of appropriate- colored fused fabric. Flip the leaf pattern, if desired, to vary the shapes. Cut out six yellow leaves, two orange leaves, one orange pumpkin, two light-brown acorn tops and two tan acorn bottoms.
- Lay out one dark-green backing fabric piece. Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse vertical and horizontal borders 5/8
in. from edge. Inner corners may overlap.
- Cut the 4-in. x 1-in. yellow strip into four 1-in. squares for border corners. Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse one in each corner aligned with edges where border strips meet.
- Fuse pumpkin about ½ in. from top of bottom border edge.
- Arrange leaves above and next to pumpkin as shown, and fuse each in place.
- Arrange tan acorn bottoms, slightly overlapping an acorn top on upper edge of each as shown, and fuse acorn pieces in place.
- Cut an 18-5/8 in. x 9 in. piece of tear-away stabilizer. Align stabilizer on wrong side of appliquéd fabric piece.
- With coordinating thread, use a medium- to narrow-width zigzag stitch to outline each shape, starting with the pumpkin. Stitch slowly at an even pace, turning fabric often and adjusting stitch length as necessary. Curvier shapes require narrower stitches.
- Next stitch the pumpkin’s inner vein lines. Then, changing thread color as necessary, stitch the acorns, leaves and leaf veins, border strips and border corner squares.
- Once all stitching is finished, tear away stabilizer.
Note: If using embroidery thread, change your sewing machine needle to one suitable for this type of thread.
- For hanging tabs, place two 4-1/2 in. x 2 in. strips of dark-green fabric together with right sides facing.
- Using coordinating thread and a 1/4-in. seam allowance, sew along each long edge, leaving ends open. Turn right side out and press. Repeat for other set of 4-1/2 in. x 2 in. strips.
- Fold each newly sewn tab in half. Baste one tab about 1-1/2 in. from right side at front top of wall hanging with folded edge of tab pointed toward wall hanging bottom. Repeat on left side for second tab.
- Cut an 18-5/8 in. x 9 in. piece of craft batting. Baste to wrong side of dark-green backing fabric.
- Pin the backing and craft batting to the appliquéd piece, right sides facing. Hanging tabs will be inside.
- Using coordinating thread and a 1/4-in. seam allowance, start at the bottom and sew along one long edge, across the top and down the other long edge.
- Trim batting from seam and trim corners. Turn right side out. Press all edges.
- Turn in a 1/4-in. seam along bottom edge. Hand-sew opening closed.
- In each corner, center a green button on the yellow corner and sew on with coordinating thread.
- From yellow scrap, cut four leaves. Flip pattern on two of them to reverse shape for other leaves’ backing.
- Fuse wrong side of the two reverse-pattern leaves to paper backed fusible web.
- Cut two 18-in. lengths of twine.
- Place matching leaves wrong sides together and insert one end of twine into center. Fuse together with twine in between. Repeat for other set of leaves.
- Center dried stick in hanging tabs and tie a raffia bow onto one end. Loop twine around stick over raffia twice and tie in a bow, letting leaves hang loose.
Appliquéd Fall Wall Hanging Craft originally sent in by Joyce Cox of Knoxville, Tennessee