Simple hand stitching and a single appliqued leaf combine to make this quick-and-easy accent pillow.
- Two 12-inch squares of felt, sage green or color of choice
(wool felt shown)
- 6-inch square of off-white
- 4-inch square of tan solid
- 12-inch square pillow form
- Twelve 1/2-inch two-hole
- Paper-backed fusible web
- Tan six-strand embroidery floss (color a bit darker than the tan fabric)
- Embroidery needle
- Quilter’s ruler
- Quilter’s marking pen or pencil
- Standard sewing supplies
- Download and print leaf pattern.
- Separate tan embroidery floss and thread needle with three strands for all stitching.
- For illustration of blanket stitch and stem stitch, consult stitch chart.
- Trace leaf pattern onto a 3-1/2-in. square of paper-backed fusible web.
- With grain lines matching, fuse traced pattern onto wrong side of tan solid fabric following manufacturer’s instructions.
- When cool, cut out leaf following outline of pattern. Discard shaded area.
- Remove paper backing.
- Referring to photo for position, fuse leaf cutout diagonally onto 6-in. square of off-white solid fabric.
- Use quilter’s marking pen or pencil to draw stem at base of leaf as shown on pattern.
- Blanket-stitch around inside and outside edges of leaf.
- Stem-stitch over lines of stem.
- Cut a 5-1/2-in. square of paper-backed fusible web.
- Fuse the web centered on the wrong side of the appliquéd off-white square.
- With the design centered, trim the appliquéd tan square to a 5-in. square.
- Remove the paper backing from the appliquéd off-white square and fuse it diagonally to the right side of one of the green felt squares. Let cool.
- Blanket-stitch around outside edges of off-white square.
- Use quilter’s ruler and quilter’s marking pen or pencil to draw a line 1-in. from the outside edges of the off-white square. Extend each of the lines to outside edges of the 12-in. felt square. (The lines will intersect on each side of the felt square.)
- Blanket-stitch over marked lines as shown in photo.
- Using embroidery floss, sew a button to each corner of the off-white square and to the point where the blanket stitching intersects on the felt piece.
- Pin the 12-in. felt squares together with wrong sides facing and edges matching.
- Blanket-stitch the two layers together, stitching around the outside edges and leaving a 10-in. opening along one side. Do not cut floss.
- Insert pillow form into pillow.
- Continue blanket-stitching as before, closing opening.
- Sew a button to each outer corner of the pillow.
FINISHED SIZE: Pillow measures about 12 inches square.
Appliqued Leaf Pillow Pattern craft originally sent in by Mary Ayres of Boyce, Virginia.