Nothing does more to warm your spirits in cold weather than crocheting a cozy knit afghan.
- 4-ply worsted-weight yarn—8 ounces each of purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and red (Helle used Red Heart Super Saver’s Purple, Royal Blue, Paddy Green, Bright Yellow, Vibrant Orange and Hot Red yarns
- crochet hook—size I/9 (5-1/2mm) or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- size 16 tapestry needle
GAUGE: When repeating Rows 3 and 4 with a size I/9 hook, 8 hdc and 8 rows = 2 inches.
AFGHAN: With purple, ch 175 (remembering that the lp on hk does not count as one of the chs).
- Row 1: Sc in fourth ch from hk, (again remembering that lp on hk is not included in the count); * ch 2, skip 2 chs and sc in next ch; repeat from * across chs; turn: 58 ch-2 lps, counting beg ch as first lp.
- Row 2: Ch 2; * work 2 hdc in next ch-2 lp; repeat from * across row; turn; 116 hdc, not counting the beg ch-2.
- Row 3: Ch 3, sk 1 hdc, sc in next hdc; * ch 2, sk 1 hdc, sc in next hdc; repeat from * across row; turn: 58 ch-2 lps.
- Row 4: Repeat Row 2.
- Rows 5-10: Repeat Rows 3 and 4. At end of Row 10, finish the last hdc as follows: yo, insert hk in lp and pull up a lp so there are 3 lps on hk, drop yarn, yo blue yarn and pull a lp through 3 lps on hk. Cut old color and continue working next row as usual with new color.
- Rows 11-20: With blue, repeat Rows 3 and 4 for 10 rows, changing to new color at end of Row 20.
- Rows 21-180: In same way, add 10 rows of each color in the following order: green, yellow, orange and red. Starting with purple, repeat all six colors in the same order two more times. Use needle to weave in loose ends.
FINISHED SIZE: Afghan measures about 29 inches wide x 45 inches long.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Bright Stripes Afghan from Helle Watson of Thornton, Colorado