Set your table with this dainty hand-knit buds-and-berries grouping…and a springtime luncheon or ladies’ tea becomes a feast for the eyes as well as the taste buds.
- Bendigo Light Worsted Cotton* (a 100% cotton yarn in 7-ounce/530-yard skeins)—one skein each of Snow (No. 801), French Rose (No. 821) and Sage (No. 815)
- Knitting needles—size 5 (3.75mm) straight needles and size 5 (3.75mm) double-pointed needles or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- Size F/5 (3.75mm) aluminum crochet hook
- Cable needle
- Fabric stiffener
- Plastic wrap
GAUGE: 24 sts and 28 rows = 4 inches (10cm).
- Bud Stitch: Join contrasting color yarn and work [k 1, yo, k 1, yo, k 1] all in next st. (To do this, k 1 without removing st from left-hand needle; yo, k 1 in same st, without removing it from left-hand needle; yo and k 1 again, this time slipping st off needle.) Sl these 5 contrasting color sts back onto left-hand needle and k each st onto right-hand needle. Pass the second st on right-hand needle over the first st and off of needle; repeat this step three more times so only one contrasting color st remains on needle. Sl remaining st back onto left-hand needle and k 1 with main color yarn. Cut contrasting color yarn and tie ends in back.
- Cable 2 Back (C2B): Sl 1 st onto cable needle and hold in back; k 1, k 1 from cable needle.
- Cable 2 Front (C2F): Sl 1 st onto cable needle and hold in front; k 1, k 1 from cable needle.
- Purl Cable 2 Back (PC2B): Sl 1 st onto cable needle and hold in back; k 1, p 1 from cable needle.
- Purl Cable 2 Front (PC2F): Sl 1 st onto cable needle and hold in front; p 1, k 1 from cable needle.
This project is knit from a chart. Each box on the Knitting Pattern represents one stitch. The symbol inside the box tells you which stitch it represents. A Stitch Key indicates what each symbol means.
When working back and forth in rows, read all right-side (RS) rows from right to left and all wrong-side (WS) rows from left to right. When working in rounds (rnds), read all rows from right to left.
PLACE MAT: With white, cast on 92 sts.
- Row 1 (WS): P 2; repeat chart from B to A eight times; p 2.
- Row 2 (RS): K 2; repeat chart from A to B eight times; k 2.
- Continue knitting as established until chart is completed. When working Rows 10 and 18, alternate the color of the buds, beginning with French Rose. Repeat Rows 3-18 of chart until piece measures 12 in., ending with Row 17. Bind off all sts. Do not cut yarn.
- Edging Rnd 1: Insert crochet hook in last lp of bound-off edge and work 1 rnd of sc around place mat, keeping work flat. Join with sl st in first sc of rnd.
- Edging Rnd 2: * Ch 4, sk 1 st and sl st in next st; repeat from * around, ending with a sl st in same st as beginning ch-4. Fasten off.
GLASS COZY: With white and double-pointed needles, cast on 44 sts.
- Being careful not to twist sts, join yarn and follow chart, working in rnds rather than rows. All stitching is done on the right side, so repeat each rnd of chart from A to B four times. When working Rnds 10 and 18, alternate the color of the buds, beginning with French Rose. When chart is completed, repeat Rnds 3-8 and bind off. Do not cut yarn.
- Work Edging Rnds 1-2 along top of cozy and Edging Rnd 1 along bottom of cozy.
NAPKIN RING: With white, cast on 13 sts.
- Row 1 (WS): P 1; repeat chart from B to A once; p 1.
- Row 2 (RS): K 1; repeat chart from A to B once; k 1.
- Continue knitting as established until chart is completed. When working Row 10, use French Rose for the bud; when working Row 18, use Sage. Repeat Rows 3-18 of chart once and bind off.
- Sew cast-on and bound-off edges together, forming a ring. Following package directions, stiffen napkin rings. Cover the neck of a bottle with plastic wrap (Diane used a ketchup bottle) and place ring on bottle. Shape ring without flattening texture of pattern and let dry before removing from bottle.
FINISHED SIZE: Place mat is 12 inches x 16 inches. Glass cozy measures 2 inches across x 3-1/2 inches high. Napkin ring measures 1-1/2 inches across x 2 inches wide.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- k knit
- lp(s) loop(s)
- p purl
- sc single crochet
- sk skip or skipped
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- yo yarn over
Buds & Berries Knit Place Setting from Diane Zangl of Lomira, Wisconsin