Ideal for keeping young ones occupied, this play mat craft idea—made with chalk fabric—rolls up and ties shut for easy transport.
- 16-in.-square piece of duck cloth, any color
- 12-in.-square piece of chalk fabric
- 36-in. length of 3/8-in.-wide ribbon
- Standard sewing supplies
- Iron with pressing cloth
1. On all sides of duck cloth, fold a 1/4-in. hem with wrong sides together. Use iron with pressing cloth to press in place. Then fold a 1-1/2-in. hem with wrong sides together; press hem in place.
2. Unfold both the 1-1/2-in. and 1/4-in. hems. Cut out the small square crease at each corner. Fold in cut corner edges diagonally and press in place to form mitered corners.
3. Refold 1/4-in. and 1-1/2-in. hems. Press in place. Diagonal corner edges should meet, forming a line. Adjust mitered corners if needed for alignment.
4. Insert the chalk fabric right side up and centered under folded edges of the duck cloth. Smooth the chalk fabric so it’s flat on the duck cloth, with folded edges overlapping.
5. Using a straight stitch, sew 1/4 in. from inner edge of duck cloth around perimeter of chalk fabric. Using a zigzag stitch, sew along each mitered corner where duck cloth forms a diagonal line.
6. Fold ribbon in half. Place folded end of ribbon overlapping straight stitch about 1/2 in. on center of 1 side of the mat. Sew ribbon in place on top of existing straight stitch to form a loop for the chalk. Use remaining length of ribbon to tie mat in a roll.
EDITOR’S NOTE: Before using, prep the chalk fabric by rubbing with side of chalk and wiping with a dry cloth.