These practical, yet pretty can cozies are easy to complete and will beat your winter blahs.
- Acrylic 4-ply worsted-weight yarn—10 yards each of red, orange, yellow, green and white
- size H/8 (5mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- size 16 tapestry needle or yarn needle
GAUGE: When working in dc with a size H/8 hook, 6 dc and 4 rows = 2 inches.
SPECIAL TECHNIQUES: Attach yarn with a dc: Begin with a slip knot on hook. Yo, insert yarn in a st of previous rnd as directed in instructions and pull up a lp so there are 3 lps on hook; [yo, draw yarn through 2 lps] twice.
- With size H hook and white, ch 5 (remembering that the lp on hook never counts as one of the chs); sl st in beg ch to form a ring.
- Rnd 1: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), work 13 dc in ring; join with a sl st in top of beg ch-3: count 14 dc.
- Rnd 2: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), dc in same sp; work 2 dc in each dc around; join with a sl st in top of beg ch-3: count 28 dc. Fasten off.
- Rnd 3: With red, attach yarn with a dc in top of beg ch-3 of previous rnd; dc in each dc around; join with a sl st in top of beg dc: count 28 dc. Fasten off.
- Rnd 4: With orange, attach yarn with a dc in any dc of previous rnd; dc in each dc around; join with a sl st in top of beg dc: count 28 dc. Fasten off.
- Rnd 5: With yellow, repeat Rnd 4.
- Rnd 6: With green, repeat Rnd 4.
- Rnd 7: With red, repeat Rnd 4.
- Rnd 8: With orange, repeat Rnd 4.
- Rnd 9: With yellow, repeat Rnd 4.
- Rnd 10: With green, repeat Rnd 4. Use tapestry needle to weave in loose ends.
FINISHED SIZE: Can cozy measures 4 inches high x 3 inches across.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Colorful Crocheted Can Cozies from Cynthia Peecher of Kirksville, Missouri