This brightly striped crocheted blanket is sure to appeal to youngsters.
- 4-ply worsted-weight yarn in 100-gram balls (Sue used Wool Blend Aran by Tivoli)—four of cream with multicolor flecks (color A—see note) and one each of purple (B), red (C), green (D), yellow-gold (E), turquoise (F), hot pink (G), salmon (H) and royal blue (I)
- size H/8 (5mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- size 18 tapestry needle
GAUGE: 3 sts and 1 row each of hdc and dc = 1 inch.
- Row 1: With D, ch 130 (remembering that the lp on hk never counts as one of the chs). Dc in fourth ch from hk and in each ch across row: count 128 dcs, including beg ch-3.
- Row 2: Ch 2 (counts as 1 hdc here and throughout), turn; sk first st (the one just below the ch-2) and hdc in each st across row, including turning ch: count 128 hdcs.
- Row 3: Ch 3 (counts as 1 dc here and throughout), turn; * sk first st and work 2 dcs in next st; rep from * across row, ending sk 1 st, dc in top of turning ch: count 128 dcs. Fasten off.
- Row 4: Turn work. With A, place a slip knot on hk and sc in first dc, sc in same dc; * sk 2 dcs and make 2 long scs in skipped hdc 2 rows down; rep from * across row, ending with sk 2 dcs, work 2 scs in top of turning ch.
- Rows 5-6: Ch 1, turn; sc in each sc across row: count 128 scs. Fasten off A at end of Row 6.
- Row 7: Turn work. With E, place a slip knot on hk and dc in first sc; * sk 1 sc, dc in next sc, dc in sc just skipped (1 cross-stitch just made); rep from * across row, ending with 1 dc in last sc: count 63 cross-stitches.
- Row 8: Ch 3, turn; sk first dc (the one just below the ch-3), dc in each dc across row: count 128 dcs.
- Rows 9-10: Rep Row 2.
- Row 11: Rep Row 3.
- Rows 12-14: Rep Rows 4-6 with A.
- Rows 15-19: Rep Rows 7-11 with B.
- Rows 20-22: Rep Rows 4-6 with A.
- Rows 23-27: Rep Rows 7-11 with G.
- Rows 28-30: Rep Rows 4-6 with A.
- Rows 31-35: Rep Rows 7-11 with F.
- Rows 36-38: Rep Rows 4-6 with A.
- Rows 39-43: Rep Rows 7-11 with H.
- Rows 44-46: Rep Rows 4-6 with A.
- Rows 47-51: Rep Rows 7-11 with I.
- Rows 52-54: Rep Rows 4-6 with A.
- Rows 55-59: Rep Rows 7-11 with C.
- Rows 60-62: Rep Rows 4-6 with A.
- Rows 63-118: Rep Rows 7-62 one more time.
- Row 119: Attach D with a sl st in last sc of Row 118 and rep Row 3.
- Row 120: Rep Row 2.
- Row 121: Rep Row 3, but do not fasten off.
- E-Rnd 1: Continuing with D, ch 3, turn, work 4 dcs in same dc; * [sk 1 dc, work 2 dcs in next dc] across, ending with sk 1 dc, work 5 dcs in corner st; work 2 dcs in end of each dc-row, 2 dcs in end of each hdc-row and 1 dc in end of each sc-row to next corner **; work 5 dcs in corner st; rep from * to **, sl st in top of beg ch-3. Fasten off. Do not turn work.
- E-Rnd 2: With RS facing, attach A with a sl st in center dc of any corner, ch 3, work 4 dcs in same dc; [sk 2 dcs, work 2 dcs in sp between dcs] around, with 5 dcs in each corner; join with a sl st in top of beg ch-3. Fasten off.
- E-Rnd 3: Attach any of the remaining colors except A and D and begin to rep E-Rnd 2. When this color runs out (or at any desired point), change to another color and continue as established, switching colors as many as four times. Fasten off.
- E-Rnd 4: Rep E-Rnd 2 with A.
- E-Rnds 5-6: Rep E-Rnds 3 and 4, using D as one of the colors in E-Rnd 5.
- Use size 18 tapestry needle to weave in the loose ends.
FINISHED SIZE: Afghan is about 60 inches long x 52 inches wide.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Colorful Striped Afghan from Sue Childress of Longview, Texas