Ward off winter's chill with this warm knit headband pattern, complete with a cute flower accent.
- Headband: 1 skein of soft worsted-weight acrylic-blend yarn (Sarah used Lion Brand Amazing Yarn 53% wool,
- Headband: Size 6 (4 mm) double-pointed knitting needles (or size needed to obtain correct gauge)
- Headband: Stitch marker
- Headband: Standard sewing supplies
- Flower: skein of soft worsted-weight acrylic-blend yarn (Sarah used Lion Brand Amazing Yarn 53% wool, 47% acrylic)
- Flower: Coordinating novelty eyelash yarn for center
- Flower: 1 yd. of scrap yarn (Sarah recommends smooth
worsted-weight acrylic or cotton yarn)
- Flower: Set of four size 6 (4 mm) double-pointed needles (or size needed to obtain correct gauge)
- Flower: Stitch marker
- k: knit
- p: purl
- st(s): stiche(es)
- tog: togethers
- RS: right side
- WS: wrong side
- K2tog: Knit 2 sts together (decrease)
- *Instructions following asterisk are repeated as directed;  Instructions within brackets are repeated as directed
GAUGE: For headband, 16 sts and 20 rows = 4 in. For flower, 18 sts and 24 rows = 4 in. To save time, take time to check gauge.
Cast on 15 sts.
H-Row 1 (RS): K across row.
H-Row 2: P across row.
H-Row 3: P across row.
H-Row 4: K across row.
Repeat H-Rows 1-4 until headband, stretched, is about 22 in. or long enough to fit around the head snugly. Bind off all sts. Sew the ends together. If desired, sew a knit flower over the seam (see flower directions below).
KNIT FLOWER ACCENT:
Petals: With scrap yarn, cast on 8 sts. Switch to main yarn.
P-Row 1 (RS): K across row.
P-Row 2 (WS): P across row.
P-Rows 3-20: Repeat P-Rows 1-2 nine more times.
P-Row 21: P across row.
P-Row 22: P across row.
P-Rows 23-40: Repeat P-Rows 1-2 nine more times.
P-Row 41: P across row.
P-Row 42: P across row.
P-Rows 43-60: Repeat P-Rows 1-2 nine more times.
P-Row 61: P across row.
P-Row 62: P across row.
P-Rows 63-80: Repeat P-Rows 1-2 nine more times.
P-Row 81: P across row.
P-Row 82: P across row.
P-Rows 83-100: Repeat P-Rows 1-2 nine more times. Do not bind off.
Give the strip a single twist. Pick up sts from P-Row 81, turning each of the eight purl bumps into a st on the needle. Repeat this process on each purl row, moving toward the first row and distributing the picked-up sts evenly between the double-pointed needles. When you get to the cast-on row, remove scrap yarn and k the first-row and last-row sts together, joining in a circle.
Strip is now a ring with 5 twisted flower petals and 40 sts on double-pointed needles. These sts are worked in the round to create the flower center. Place a marker at the beginning of the round.
Carry eyelash yarn along with main yarn when knitting as follows:
C-Round 1: K2tog 20 times: 20 sts.
C-Round 2: K across row.
C-Round 3: K2tog 10 times: 10 sts.
C-Round 4: K across row.
C-Round 5: K2tog 5 times: 5 sts.
Cut the yarn and pull it through the remaining sts, drawing the center tight.
KNIT HEADBAND PATTERN – FINISHED SIZE: Excluding flower, headband measures about 3 in. wide x 18 in. around relaxed or 22 in. around stretched. Flower measures about 4-1/2 in. across.
Cozy Knit Headband Pattern originally sent in by Sarah McFarland, Burdette, New York. Photography by Country Woman magazine.