This pretty crocheted wreath can be finished in a snap--just in time for holiday decorating.
- Rug-weight yarn in 60-yard skeins—six Christmas green and one red (Carla used Aunt Lydia’s Craft and Rug Yarn)
- crochet hook—size K/10-1/2 (6.5mm) or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- size 13 tapestry needle
- two wire coat hangers
- wire cutters
GAUGE: 5 dcs and 3 rows = 2 inches.
- Row 1: With green, ch 250 (remembering that the lp on hk never counts as one of the chs). Dc in fourth ch from hk and in each remaining ch across row: count 248 dcs (count beg ch-3 as 1 dc here and throughout).
- Row 2: Ch 3, turn; sk first dc (the one directly below the ch-3), dc in each remaining dc and top of beg ch-3.
- Rows 3-9: Repeat Row 2, fastening off at the end of Row 9.
- BOW: B-Row 1: With red, ch 60. Dc in fourth ch from hk and in each remaining ch across row: count 58 dcs.
- B-Rows 2-5: Repeat wreath Row 2, fastening off at the end of B-Row 5.
- CP-Row 1: With red, ch 8. Dc in fourth ch from hk and in each remaining ch across row: count 6 dcs.
- CP-Rows 2-6: Repeat wreath Row 2, fastening off at the end of CP-Row 6.
- Fold bow as shown in Wreath Fig. 1. Wrap center of bow with center piece with ends meeting in back. Sew ends together with matching yarn.
BERRIES: With red, ch 200. Fasten off.
- Cut each hanger as shown in Wreath Fig. 2. Straighten wires.
- Weave one wire through Row 3 of green piece, weaving under one, over one. Gather crocheted piece to fit wire as you weave. Weave second wire through Row 4.
- Bend wires to form a circular wreath. Twist each set of ends together and trim off excess wire. With green yarn and tapestry needle, tack wreath ends together.
- Weave red ch over 2 dcs in Row 3, leaving about a 3-inch-long tail in back. (The red that shows on front is a berry and should not be pulled tight.) Working counterclockwise, measure 3 inches to the left and weave red ch over 2 dcs in Row 5; measure another 3 inches to the left and weave ch over 2 dcs in Row 3. Continue to weave the red ch around wreath in this manner, creating a zigzag pattern between Rows 3 and 5 in back. Tie ends together in back at end of round.
- Referring to photo at left for position, use matching yarn to sew bow to wreath.§
FINISHED SIZE: Wreath measures about 16 inches across.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Crocheted Christmas Wreath from Carla Miller of Springdale, Arkansas