Inspired by Santa’s snug footwear, these crocheted infant-sized replicas sure to warm a baby’s toes—and the heart of anyone who sees them.
- Sport-weight yarn—small amounts or one skein each of red and white
- Size G/6 (4.25mm) crochet hook
- Safety pin
GAUGE: With size G hook in sc, Rounds 1-3 (sole) = 3 inches long and 1-1/2 inches wide.
Special Stitches: DOUBLE CROCHET TWO STITCHES TOGETHER (dc 2 sts tog): Leave first dc unfinished with two lps remaining on the hk. Work the second dc until there are three lps on the hk, yo and complete both stitches as one by pulling through all lps on the hk at once.
DIRECTIONS (make two):
- Round 1 (sole):
- Round 2: Sc in next 6 sts; work 2 sc in each of next 5 sts; sc in next 6 sts; work 2 sc in next st: 24 sts.
- Round 3: Sc in next 9 sts; work 2 sc in each of next 4 sts; sc in next 10 sts; work 2 sc in last st: 29 sts.
- Rounds 4-5: Sc in each st around: 29 sts.
- Round 6: Sc in next 10 sts; [dc 2 sts tog] four times; sc in next 11 sts: 25 sts.
- Round 7: Sc in next 8 sts; [dc 2 sts tog] four times; sc in next 9 sts: 21 sts.
- Round 8: Sc in next 8 sts; [dc 2 sts tog] twice; sc in next 9 sts; join with sl st in first sc: 19 sts.
- Rounds 9-12: Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), dc in each st around; join with sl st to top of beginning ch-3: 19 sts. Fasten off at the end of Round 12.
- Round 13: Join white in top of beginning ch-3, ch 3; dc in each st around; join with sl st to top of beginning ch-3: 19 sts.
- Round 14: Ch 3, dc in each st around; join with sl st to top of beginning ch-3: 19 sts.
- Round 15: Ch 1, sc in same st as sl st; sc in each st around; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten off. Turn down cuff.
- Finished Size: Booties will fit newborns to 6-month-old infants.
With red yarn, ch 8, sc in second ch from hk and next 5 chs, work 5 sc in end ch. Working on opposite side of ch, sc in next 5 chs; work 2 sc in last ch: 18 sts. Mark last st with a safety pin. At the end of each round move this pin to the last st.
- ch chain
- dc double crochet
- hk hook
- lp(s) loop(s)
- sc single crochet
- sl st slip stitch
- st(s) stitches(s)
- tog together
- yo yarn over
- [ ] Instructions between brackets are repeated a given number of times
Crocheted Infant Booties from Cherie Marie Leck of Charlotte, North Carolina