Nothing’s fresher this fashion season than ponchos! Here’s a lovely pastel design that is easy enough for beginners.
- 18 ounces of sport-weight yarn in color of choice (Laurie used Bernat Baby Coordinates Soft Mauve yarn)
- Size H/8 (5mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- Ruler or measuring tape
- Yarn or tapestry needle
GAUGE: Working in dc, 8 sts and 3 rows= 2 inches. Slight variations in gauge will change the finished size a bit.
- Round 1: Ch 100, being careful not to twist the ch, join with a sl st in first ch to form a ring.
- Round 2: Ch 3, dc in next ch, ch 2, [sk 2 sts, dc in each of next 2 sts, ch 2] around, join with a sl st in top of beginning ch-3: 25 ch-2 sps and 50 dcs.
- Round 3: Sl st to next ch-2 sp, ch 3, (work 1 dc, ch 2, 2 dcs) in ch-2 sp, ch 2, * [work 2 dcs in next ch-2 sp, ch 2] five times, (work 2 trs, ch 2, 2 trs) in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, [work 2 dcs in next ch-2 sp, ch 2] five times *, (work 2 dcs, ch 2, 2 dcs) in next ch-2 sp, ch 2; repeat from * to *, join with a sl st in top of beginning ch-3.
- Rounds 4-27: Sl st to next ch-2 sp, ch 3, (work 1 dc, ch 2, 2 dcs) in ch-2 sp, ch 2, * [work 2 dcs in next ch-2 sp, ch 2] around to ch-2 sp between next 2 tr, ch 2, 2 tr group, (work 2 trs, ch 2, 2 trs) in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, [work 2 dcs in next ch-2 sp, ch 2] around to ch-2 sp between next 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc group, * (work 2 dcs, ch 2, 2 dcs) in next ch-2 sp, ch 2; repeat from * to *, around to beginning ch-3, join with a sl st in top of beginning ch-3. Fasten off at end of Round 27.
- FRINGE: Cut five 10-in.-long pieces of yarn. Fold yarn in half, working with all pieces as one. Use crochet hk to pull loop of yarn through one ch-2 sp along bottom of poncho. Slip ends of yarn through loop and pull to tighten loop.
- In same way, add fringe to each remaining ch-2 sp. Trim ends of fringe even to desired length.
FINISHED SIZE: Poncho shown is an Adult size Medium with a neck circumference of about 22 inches and front and back length of about 23 inches without fringe. To make poncho larger or smaller, increase or decrease the number of chs in Round 1 by multiples of 2 sts as desired to alter the neck circumference, and increase or decrease the number of rows worked to alter the length.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- hk hook
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- sk skip
- sl st slip stitch
- sp(s) space(s)
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tr(s) treble crochet
- * [ ] Instructions between asterisks or between brackets are repeated a given number of times or as directed.
- ( ) Instructions within parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Crocheted Poncho from Laurie MacMillan of Hilliard, Ohio