Customize your outdoor space with DIY garden craft projects that are easy to do. Spice up old flowerpots with a mosaic of tile or broken china.
- Tile, broken china, smooth stones, glass beads and the like
- Terra-cotta pot
- Polymer-fortified thin-set mortar
- Butter knife
- Sanded grout
- Wire brush
- Wrap tile pieces in a cloth, placing them glaze side down, and strike with a hammer. Lay out the pieces on a flat surface to work out your design, and chalk the design layout onto the pot. Shape the tile pieces with a nipper, if desired.
- Mix a polymer-fortified, thin-set mortar with water to the consistency of peanut butter. Using a butter knife, spread the mortar on the back of each tile piece and stick it on the pot, leaving a 1/4-in. space between pieces for grout. Adhere the mosaic design pieces first and then fill in the background with smaller pieces (stones, beads, etc.). Let set overnight.
- Mix sanded grout with water to the consistency of peanut butter. Liberally slather the grout with a gloved hand over the pot’s surface, rubbing it into the open spaces. Wipe off excess with a cloth. Brush grout from the stones with a wire brush, then rub with a cloth to eliminate all brush marks.
Add color to your grout by mixing in an acrylic paint. If you want more sparkle, add glass and mirror pieces to the outside of your pot.
DIY Mosaic Flowerpot Craft Project Photography by RDA-GID.