Your little Christmas guests will be so excited to see these Santa sacks under the tree.
- Worsted-weight yarn—2 ounces of white and small amounts of red and pink
- size G/6 (4.25mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- yarn needle
- 1-1/2-inch square of cardboard
- two 1/2-inch movable eyes
- 1/2-inch red pom-pom
- small sprig of artificial holly
- tacky (white) glue
GAUGE: When working in sc, 4 sts = 1 inch.
Special Stitches/Notes: Refer to knitting/crocheting abbreviations below. Download the following stitches: Santa Treat Bag Fig1-2b.
- LOOP STITCH (LS): Insert hk into next st, wrap yarn once around index finger of left hand, bring hk through yarn lp around finger as in Fig. 1, catching both yarns; draw both yarns through st, yo and draw through all 3 lps on hk, remove finger from lp.
- POPCORN STITCH (PS): Work 5 dc around post of next sc in fourth round below (Fig. 2a), draw up a lp, remove hk and insert hk in top of first dc of 5-dc group, pull lp through st (Fig. 2b), ch 1.
- CHANGING COLORS: Work LS until 3 lps rem on hk, drop first color and draw up second color, drawing through remaining 3 lps on hk. Colors are changed while completing last sc of first color. Join second color as follows: Work last sc of first color as normal sc until 2 lps rem on hk, yo with second color and draw second color through; drop first color and leave it on wrong side. Yarn can be loosely carried on wrong side and should be caught into work every few stitches.
Work in continuous rounds (except Round 12). Use contrasting yarn piece to mark rounds, moving as rounds are completed. Begin at bottom with white, ch 2.
- Round 1: 6 sc in second ch from hk.
- Round 2: 2 LS in each sc around: 12 LS.
- Round 3: (LS in next LS, 2 LS in next LS) around: 18 LS.
- Round 4: (LS in each of next 2 LS, 2 LS in next LS) around: 24 LS.
- Round 5: (LS in each of next 3 LS, 2 LS in next LS) around: 30 LS.
- Rounds 6-7: LS in each LS around, changing to pink in last LS of Round 7.
- Rounds 8-11: Carrying white on wrong side, sc in each of next 6 sts with pink, changing to white in last sc; LS in each rem LS around, changing to pink in last LS of Rounds 8-10. Fasten off pink at end of Round 11.
- Round 12: With white, ch 1, turn, sc in each st around; join with sl st in top of beg sc.
- Rounds 13-15: Sc in each sc around.
- Round 16: Sc in next sc, PS around post of second sc in fourth round below; * return to working round, sc in next sc (behind PS) and in next sc; sk next sc in fourth round below, PS around post of next sc, repeat from * around, ending with return to working round, sc in next sc (behind PS) and in next sc, changing to red in last sc: 15 PS. Fasten off white.
- Rounds 17-22: With red, sc in each sc around: 30 sc.
- Round 23: * Ch 3, sk next sc, sl st in next sc, repeat from * around; join with sl st in top of beg ch-3. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
- DRAWSTRING: With red, ch 70. Fasten off. Weave drawstring through sps of Round 23.
- POM-POMS (Make 2): Wind white yarn 75 times around cardboard. Tie 10-inch piece of yarn tightly around center of loops. Slide off cardboard. Cut yarn opposite tie. Trim to rounded shape. Stitch to ends of drawstring.
- FINISHING: Glue on eyes and pom-pom nose. Attach holly sprig to hat. For mustache, wrap white yarn four times around cardboard. Slide yarn off and use end to tie loops in middle. Trim ends. Glue to face.
FINISHED SIZE: Treat bag is about 6 inches tall.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
DIY Santa Treat Bag from Deniece Schofield of Cedar Rapids, Iowa