You can lay the foundation for a cozy room—and use up leftover supplies—by crocheting this colorful rug.
- 28 ounces of 4-ply worsted-weight yarn in assorted colors
- size N/15 (10mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- yarn needle or size 13 tapestry needle
- four safety pins
GAUGE: 10 scs and 5 rnds (10 rows) = 4 inches.
Stitches used: Refer to knitting/crocheting abbreviations below.
- Organize your yarn to decide where to use the colors. Shorter lengths should be used at the beginning (center) of the rug and longer lengths should be saved for the end.
- Decide how to combine the colors. (Three strands of yarn are used throughout.) For continuity, carry one color throughout the entire piece. Different dye lots or shades of this color can be used. Black was used in the rug shown in the photo below.
- Choose different amounts of each color. Each color should change in a different spot. When one color ends, pick up a new color and continue crocheting, leaving 3- to 4-inch tails of both colors. The tails can be woven in later.
- Rnd 1: Holding three strands of worsted-weight yarn as if they were one, ch 35 (not counting the lp on hk); sc in second ch from hk and each remaining ch until 1 remains; work 3 scs in last ch and mark center st with a safety pin; continuing in lps on opposite side of beg-ch, sc in each ch until 1 remains; work 3 scs in last ch and mark center st with a safety pin: count 72 scs.
- Rnd 2: Working in back lps only, * sc in each st until 1 remains before marked st; work 3 scs in next st and mark the center st; remove pin in previous rnd and sc in next st; work 3 scs in next st and mark the center st; rep from * one more time.
- Rnd 3: * Sc in back lp of each st to next marked st; work 3 scs in both lps of marked st; move the pin to the new center st; rep from * around.
- Repeat Rnd 3 until rug measures 24 x 35 inches or desired size.
- Final Rnd: Working through both lps of each st, sl st in each st around, removing markers as you st. Fasten off. Use needle to weave in loose ends.
FINISHED SIZE: Rug shown is about 35 inches long x 24 inches wide.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Fall Crocheted Rug from Rose Pirrone of Bayside, New York