Light up a room beautifully with this DIY home decor craft project that turns a drab floor lamp into a fab accent for your home.
- Old wood lamp
- Painter's tape
- 180-grit sandpaper
- Paint for undercoat
- Gloss acrylic paint
- Wallpaper or contact paper in contrasting colors
- Remove the bulb, shade and any parts of the base that come apart. Cover the bulb socket with painter’s tape and clean each part with a damp cloth and wipe dry.
- Use 180-grit sandpaper to sand the base and remove old varnish. Wipe away residual dust with a clean, dry cloth.
- Use a brush to apply an undercoat. Let dry; then apply two coats of gloss acrylic as a finish.
- Cover the old shade, or buy a new one (for less than $20 from craft or home center stores), making sure it’s unembellished and a simple cylinder or drum shape.
- Choose a heavy wallpaper with a pattern small enough to repeat around the shade, and choose a contrasting paper for the inside.
- Cut outside and inside paper to fit around the lamp shade, with a 3/4-in. overlap.
- Cover both sides of the shade with wallpaper or contact paper adhesive and position the paper, smoothing it with your hand, adding adhesive to the overlap. Let dry.
- Reassemble the lamp.
Floor Lamp Makeover craft project design by Gema Beneitez. Photography by Sue Ferris.