You'll step up to holiday gift-giving with this cozy knit footwear.
- One ball of sock yarn
- Set of four size 1 (2.25mm) double-pointed needles
- Measuring tape or ruler
- Yarn or tapestry needle
GAUGE: 17 stitches and 23 rows = 2 inches. To save time, take time to check gauge.
- Cast on 12 sts on one needle.
- Using new needle, k across sts, knitting into the front and back of every st: 24 sts.
- Pinch the cast-on edge between your thumb and index finger and gently slide the needle out of the sts. The sts will spring to the front and back alternately. While holding the cast-on edge, slip one needle into the sts in the front and another needle into the sts in the back. You will have 12 sts on each needle.
- Round 1: K 1, k 1 into front and back of next st, k across to last two sts, k 1 into front and back of next st, k 1. Work the same across both needles.
- Round 2: K around.
- Place sts evenly on three needles.
- Repeat Rounds 1 and 2 until you have 28 (32 for medium, 36 for large) sts on each needle. This completes the toe of the sock. Mark 26 (30, 34) sts for the top of the sock and the remaining 30 (34, 38) sts for the sole.
- K around for 6 (7, 8) inches from toe.
- Round 1: K across 26 (30, 34) sts (top of sock), k 1, k 1 into front and back of first sole st, k across to last two sts, k 1 into front and back of next st, k 1.
- Round 2: K around.
- Repeat Rounds 1 and 2 until you have 56 (64, 72) sts.
- Work sts on sole sts only. The sts for the top of the sock will not be worked while turning the heel of sock.
- Row 1: K 29 (33, 35), ssk, k 1, turn.
- Row 2: Sl 1, p 3 (5, 7), p2tog, p 1, turn.
- Row 3: Sl 1, k 4 (6, 8), ssk, k 1, turn.
- Row 4: Sl 1, p 5 (7, 9), p2tog, p 1, turn.
- Row 5: Sl 1, k 6 (8, 10), ssk, k 1, turn.
- Continue in this manner until all the sts have been worked and you have 30 (34, 36) sts on needle.
- Work in the round on all sts (both needles) for 10 rows.
- Rounds 1-4: K 2, p 2 around.
- Round 5: * K2tog leaving st on needle, k 1 in st closest to the tip of the needle, then pull both sts off needle, p 2; repeat from * around.
- Repeat Rounds 1-5 until cuff measures 3 inches.
SEWN BIND OFF: Cut a piece of yarn that is three times the distance around the cuff. Thread yarn onto the yarn or tapestry needle. Working from right to left, * insert yarn or tapestry needle purl-wise through the first two sts on the knitting needle and draw the yarn through. Bring yarn or tapestry needle knit-wise through first st, pull the yarn through and sl this st off the knitting needle. Repeat from * around the top of the cuff. Fasten off.
- k knit
- p purl
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- ssk slip, slip, knit
- tog together
- * Instructions following asterisk are repeated as directed.
FINISHED SIZE: Directions are for Women’s size Small socks with changes for Women’s Medium and Large sizes in parentheses.
Fun Striped Knitted Socks from Debbie Slaback of Longview, Texas