Instead of making the front, back and sleeves separately and sewing them together as is often done, the entire top of this pullover is in one piece.
- 4-ply worsted-weight yarn—10 oz. white and 3 oz. variegated
- Straight knitting needles, sizes 10 (6mm) and 11 (7.5 mm) or sizes needed to obtain correct gauge
- Size G/6 (4.25 mm) crochet hook
- Size 16 tapestry needle
GAUGE: When working in Box Pattern on size 11 needles, 13 sts and 10 rows = 4 inches. Make sure to check your gauge and adjust needle size to match gauge.
- Row 1: * Insert needle in back of st and k 1 so base of st is twisted, p 1; rep from * across.
- All remaining rows: Knit all k sts as in Row 1 so they are twisted and p all purl sts.
Tip: When knitting in a “box” pattern and switching from purl to knit, Jackie uses this technique: after completing two stitches in a knit box, she pulls the yarn taut before continuing to give a tighter look to the changing stitch.
BOX PATTERN: Rep Rows 1-8 for pattern
- Row 1: [K 2, p 4] across.
- Row 2: [P 2, k 4] across.
- Rows 3-4: Rep Rows 1 and 2
- Row 5: [P 2, k 4] across.
- Row 6: [K 2, p 4] across.
- Rows 7-8: Rep. Rows 5 and 6
- With size 10 needles and white yarn, cast on 44 (50, 56) sts.
- Twisted Rib Rows 1-12: Work in Twisted Rib for 12 rows.
- Front: Change to size 11 needles and work in Box Pattern for 44 rows or desired length to underarm.
- Sleeve-Row 1: Work in Box Pattern across row; cast on 22 sts for first sleeve: count 66 (72,78) sts.
- Sleeve-Row 2: Work in Box Pattern across row; cast on 22 sts for second sleeve: count 88 (94, 104) sts.
- Sleeve-Rows 3-23: Continue to work in Box Pattern across 88 (94, 100) sts for 21 rows.
- Sleeve-Row 24: Work in Box Pattern across 28(30, 32 sts; for neckline, loosely bind off the next 32(34,36) sts in pattern; work in Box Pattern across last 28 (30, 32) sts.
- Sleeve-Row 25: Work in Box Pattern across 28(30, 32) sts; cast on 32(34,36) sts; work in Box Pattern across last 28(30,32) sts.
- Sleeve-Rows 26-47: Continue in Box Pattern for 22 rows.
- Sleeve-Row 48: Bind off 22 sts in pattern; work in Box Pattern across remaining 66(72,78) sts.
- Sleeve-Row 49: Bind off 22 sts in pattern; work in Box Pattern across remaining
- 44 (50, 56) sts.
- Back: Continue in Box Pattern for 44 more rows or same length to underarm as front.
- Back Ribbing: Change to size 10 needles and work in Twisted Rib for 12 rows. Bind off as you work in Twisted Rib across next row.
- Collar: With back of pullover facing, insert crochet hook in first stitch at right-hand edge of back neckline and pull up a loop of variegated yarn, then place loop on size 10 needle. Continuing in this manner, pick up 36 more loops across back neckline only. Work in Twisted Rib for 15 rows. Bind off as you work in Twisted Rib across next row.
- With front of pullover facing, locate center st of front neckline and mark with a length of scrap yarn. Starting at right-hand edge of neckline, pick up 18 loops between right-hand edge and center mark as before. Work in Twisted Rib for 15 rows. Bind off as you work in Twisted Rib across next row.
- With front of pullover facing and starting at center st of front neckline, pick up 18 loops between center mark and left-hand edge. Work in Twisted Rib for 15 rows and bind off as before. Remove marker.
- Use Tapestry needle and matching yarn to sew each front collar to back collar.
With variegated yarn, crochet hook and size 10 needles, pick up 26 sts around the end of one sleeve as before. Work in Twisted Rib for 11 rows. Bind off as you work in Twisted Rib across next row. Repeat for cuff on second sleeve.
Pocket (Make 2):
- With size 10 needles and variegated yarn, cast on 20 sts. Work in Twisted Rib for 18 rows, binding off in Twisted Rib on next row.
- Referring to photo for position, use matching yarn to sew two pockets to front of pullover.
- Use matching yarns to sew cuff, underarm and side seams. Use tapestry needle to weave in loose ends.
Bow: With crochet hook and variegated yarn, crochet and 18-in.-long chain. Thread chain through center stitch on front neckline and tie a bow.
Bow End (Make 2): With size 10 needles and variegated yarn, cast on 8 sts. Work in Twisted Rib for 5 rows. Bind off in Twisted Rib on next row. Sew one corner of piece just made to one end of crocheted chain. Make a second bow end and attach to opposite end of chain.
Finished size: Sweater shown is a child’s size Medium (8-10). Directions are for a child’s size Small (5-6) Changes for Medium and Large (12) are in parentheses. Actual chest size is about 27 (31, 34 ½ ) inches.
- k knit
- p purl
- rep repeat
- st(s) stitch(es)
- * or  Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated as directed
- () Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated
Kids Knit Pullover designed by Jackie Franke of Santa Ysabel, California