This handsomely hued knit stocking will add a bright touch to your mantel.
- Worsted-weight yarn—2 ounces of red and 1-1/2 ounces each of green and white
- Size 8 (5mm) knitting needles—pair of straight and set of four double-pointed or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- Stitch holders—two small and one large
- Stitch marker
- Size C/2 (2.75mm) crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
- 1/4 yard of 44-inch-wide 100% cotton or cotton-blend fabric for lining
- Matching all-purpose thread
- Small jingle bell (optional)
- Standard sewing supplies
GAUGE: When working in St st, 16 sts and 24 rows = 4 inches.
Changing colors: To avoid holes when changing colors, pick up new color yarn from beneath the dropped yarn.
Working in rounds: Place sts evenly on 3 dp needles. Place a marker at beginning of round, moving marker with each round worked. Being careful not to twist sts, join last st to first st by pulling up yarn firmly and making first st with fourth needle.
Stockinette stitch: St st
- Row 1 (RS): Knit across row.
- Row 2 (WS): Purl across row.
- Repeat Rows 1 and 2.
K 2, p 2 ribbing:
- Every Row: K 2, p 2 across row.
- With straight knitting needles and red, cast on 40 sts.
- Rows 1-8: Work in k 2, p 2 ribbing: 40 sts.
- Rows 9-10: With white, k each row.
- Rows 11-12: With red, work in St st.
- Row 13: * With red, k 5; with white, k 1; repeat from * across row to last four sts; with red, k 4; fasten off white: 40 sts.
- Rows 14-16: With red, work in St st: 40 sts.
- Row 17: With red, k 2; * with green, k 1, with red k 5; repeat from * across row to last 2 sts; with green k 1, with red k 1; fasten off green: 40 sts.
- Rows 18-20: With red, work in St st: 40 sts.
- Rows 21-32: Repeat Rows 9-20: 40 sts.
- Rows 33-34: With white, k each row; fasten off white: 40 sts.
- Rows 35-38: With red, work in St st: 40 sts.
- Top of foot: Row 39: K 31; sl last 9 sts on small holder for heel.
- Row 40: P 22; sl last 9 sts on second small holder for heel.
- Rows 41-46: Work in St st on 22 sts. At end of Row 46, slip sts onto large holder: 22 sts.
- HEEL: Rows 1-5: Slip 9 sts of each side of heel from holders onto one dp needle so that the ends of the rows are at middle of needle. With RS facing, join white and work in St st on 18 sts for 5 rows.
- Turning heel: Row 6: P 11, p 2 tog, p 1, turn.
- Heel Row 7: Sl 1, k 5, sl 1, k 1, psso, k 1, turn.
- Heel Row 8: Sl 1, p 6, p 2 tog, p 1, turn.
- Heel Row 9: Sl 1, k 7, sl 1, k 1, psso, k 1, turn.
- Heel Row 10: Sl 1, p 8, p 2 tog, p 1, turn.
- Heel Row 11: Sl 1, k 9, sl 1, k 1, psso, k 1, turn: 12 sts. Fasten off yarn.
- Heel Row 12: Join white at top right-hand side of heel. Pick up and k 6 sts along side of heel, k 12 sts of heel, pick up and k 6 sts along remaining side of heel: 24 sts.
- Heel Row 13: P across row.
- Heel Row 14: K 1, sl 1, k 1, psso, k to last 3 sts, k 2 tog, k 1.
- Repeat Rows 13 and 14 until there are 16 sts and ending with a knit row.
- FOOT: Round 1: (See knitting reminders for working in rounds.) Sl last 8 sts just worked from straight needle onto first dp needle. On second needle, using red, k across 22 sts on holder; on third needle, k remaining 8 sts. Center of heel is now at beginning of each round: 38 sts.
- Foot Rounds 2-10: K each round with red. Fasten off red at end of Round 10.
- Toe Shaping: Round 1: Attach green, on first needle, k to last 3 sts, k 2 tog, k 1; on second needle, k 1, sl 1, k 1, psso, k to last 3 sts, k 2 tog, k 1. On third needle, k 1, sl 1, k 1, psso, k to end of round.
- Toe Round 2: Knit.
- Repeat Toe Rounds 1 and 2 five more times. Break off yarn, leaving a 10-in. end. Run end through all sts, drawing up tightly.
- FINISHING: Using tapestry needle and matching yarn, sew back seam, matching stripes. Sew sides of instep.
- Hanging Loop: Using any color yarn, ch 27. Fasten off, leaving an 8-in. yarn end. Fold chain in half and use yarn end to stitch both ends of chain to back seam at top edge of stocking.
- Lining: Fold lining fabric with right sides together. Lay knitted stocking on top of fabric. Cut around stocking 1/2 in. outside all edges. With right sides together, machine-stitch 1/2 in. from edges, leaving top edge open.
- Fold 1 in. of top edge to wrong side for hem. Trim hem to 1/2 in. from fold. With lining wrong side out, put lining inside stocking, positioning the top edge of lining at first white row. Add jingle bell between layers if desired, working it down to tip of toe. Hand-stitch top edge of lining to inside of stocking.
FINISHED SIZE: Stocking is about 11 inches long.
- ch chain
- dec(s) decrease(s)
- dp double-pointed
- k knit
- p purl
- psso pass the slipped stitch over
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
Knit Christmas Stocking from Louise Purpura of Valparaiso, Indiana