Knit this beautiful striped stocking for a delightful way to hold goodies on Christmas.
- bulky yarn in 100gm (3-1/2-ounce, 164-yard) balls—one each of green and red and two of white (Jana used Patons Norspun, 75% acrylic/25% wool bulky yarn)
- set of size 7 (4.5mm) double-pointed and 16-inch circular knitting needles or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- size G/6 (4.25mm) crochet hook
- stitch marker
- yarn needle
GAUGE: Knitting in rounds, 4 sts and 6 rounds = 1 inch.
Stitches Used/Notes: Refer to knitting abbreviations below.
- SLIP, SLIP, KNIT (SSK): (A dec sloping to the left) With yarn in back of work, sl next st as if to knit, sl following st as if to purl, insert tip of left-hand needle into front of both slipped sts from left, then k 2 tog.
- CHANGING COLORS: Carry colors loosely across back of work. When changing colors at beginning of round, bring loosely stranded yarn up from preceding stripe of that color without breaking yarn .
- WORKING IN ROUNDS: Place sts on three dp needles. Place a marker at beginning of round, moving marker with each round worked. Being careful not to twist sts, join last st to first st by pulling up yarn firmly and knitting first st with fourth needle for first knit st.
- Round 1: With circular needle and white, cast on 60 sts, counting this as first round. Jana recommends that you use a two-strand or double cast-on method for a neater edge. (See notes in “Before you begin” for working in rounds.)
- Rounds 2-70: Knit these rounds from Stripe chart on next page for 14 stripes, repeating chart three times in each round. Each square on chart equals one stitch and each line equals a single round. Starting at the bottom, read from right to left for all rounds, using colors listed on color key.
- HEEL: Flap: Place center 30 front (instep) stitches on a piece of contrasting color yarn. Place 30 heel stitches on circular needle. Break both yarns.
- Row 1 (RS): With red, (sl 1, ybk, k 1) across row.
- Row 2: Sl 1, ybk, purl remaining sts.
- Rows 3-27: Repeat Rows 1 and 2, ending with Row 1.
- Turning: Row 28: Sl 1, p 15, p 2 tog, p 1, turn.
- Row 29: Sl 1, k 3, ssk, k 1, turn.
- Row 30: Sl 1, p 4, p 2 tog, p 1, turn.
- Row 31: Sl 1, k 5, ssk, k 1, turn.
- Rows 32-41: Continue in same manner, decreasing 1 st in each row until 16 sts remain, ending with a RS row. Break red yarn.
- FOOT (F): Place 8 heel sts on each of two dp needles. Needle on left is first needle.
- F Round 1: With first needle and white, pick up and knit 14 sts along side of heel; with second needle, knit across 30 instep sts; with third needle, pick up and knit 14 sts along other side of heel, then knit rem 8 heel sts: 74 sts. (First round of Stripe Chart, repeating pattern to end of round)
- F Dec Round 2: Begin decreases as follows, continuing to follow Stripe Chart: First needle, knit to last 3 sts, k 2 tog, k 1; second needle, knit; third needle, k 1, ssk, knit to end of round: 72 sts at end of F Dec Round 2.
- F Round 3: Knit. (Contrasting sts need to line up with contrasting sts of previous Rounds 3 and 8. For this row, work pattern over first 20 sts, then k 2 white, k 1 red, work pattern over next 28 sts, k 4 white, k 1 red, work in pattern over remaining 16 sts. Adjust successive pattern rounds.)
- F Rounds 4-15: Continuing to follow stripe chart and lining up contrasting sts, repeat F Dec Round 2 and F Round 3: 60 sts at end of F Round 14.
- F Rounds 16-45: Change to circular needle and work even for nine stripes below heel. Break white yarn.
- TOE (T): Arrange sts on three dp needles: 14 sts on first needle, 32 sts on second and 14 sts on third.
- T Round 1: With red and first needle, k to last 3 sts on needle, k 2 tog, k 1; second needle, k 1, ssk, k to last 3 sts on needle, k 2 tog, k 1; third needle, k 1, ssk, knit to end of round.
- T Round 2: Knit.
- T Rounds 3-19: Repeat T Rounds 1 and 2: 20 sts at end of T Round 19.
- Joining: Place 10 sts on two dp needles and graft sts together as follows: As shown in Fig. 1, hold the sts facing each other and slip them off a few at a time, weaving them together with the tapestry needle and yarn end.
- HANGING LOOP: With crochet hook and red, ch 20; turn, sl st in each ch st across. Fasten off, leaving an 8-inch end. Fold chain in half and stitch ends to center back top edge.
- FINISHING/CARE: Lightly steam block. Store stocking with moth protection.
FINISHED SIZE: Stocking is 23-1/2 inches long.
- dec decrease
- inc increase
- k knit
- p purl
- psso pass slipped st over
- rem remaining
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Knit Striped Christmas Stocking from Jana Trent of Colleyville, Texas