Create a delicate gift of cozy comfort for a baby shower, birthday or christening with this Knitted Baby Bonnet Pattern.
- Tapestry needle
- stitch marker
- safety pin
- Baby yarn—1 ounce of white and small amount of red
- knitting needles—pair of straight knitting needles and set of double-pointed needles in size 2 (2.75/ 3mm) or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- Sport yarn—1-1/2 ounces of white and small amount of red
- knitting needles—pair of straight knitting needles and set of double-pointed needles in size 2 (2.75/3mm) or size needed to obtain correct gauge
GAUGE: With size 2 needles and baby yarn in Stockinette stitch, 9 stitches and 11 rows = 1 inch. With size 2 needles and sport yarn in Stockinette stitch, 15 stitches and 18 rows = 2 inches. Make sure to check your gauge before beginning work.
MOSS STITCH: Moss st
- Row 1: (K 1, p 1) across row.
- Row 2: (P 1, k 1) across row.
- Repeat Rows 1 and 2.
- Repeat these four rows for pattern.
STOCKINETTE STITCH: St st
- Row 1 (RS): Knit.
- Row 2: Purl.
- Repeat Rows 1 and 2.
- When working in the round, knit all rounds.
CONTRAST PATTERN: Multiple of 9 + 2.
- Row 1 (dec): With red, k 1, * k 3 tog, (k 1, yo) twice, k 1, sl 1, k 2 tog, psso, repeat from * across row, ending with k 1.
- Row 2 (inc): K 4, * (k, p, k) in next st, k 6, repeat from * across row, ending last repeat with k 4. Fasten off red.
- Red hearts are worked from a chart. Each square on chart equals one stitch and each line equals a row. Starting at the bottom, read from right to left for a RS row and from left to right for a WS row, repeating for nine hearts across.
- To prevent a hole when changing colors, pass color to be used underneath and around to right of color just used. Carry unused color loosely across back of work, twisting around the yarn in use every fourth stitch.
KNIT 2 TOGETHER THROUGH BACK LOOPS: k 2 tog tbl (A dec sloping to the left) Knit 2 sts tog through back of both lps.
OPENWORK HEART PATTERN: Multiple of 16 + 12.
- Row 1 (RS): K 14, * yo, k 2 tog tbl, k 14, repeat from * four more times, ending last repeat with k 12.
- Row 2 and all WS rows through Row 14: Purl.
- Row 3: K 12, * k 2 tog, yo, k 1, yo, k 2 tog tbl, k 11, repeat from * four more times.
- Row 5: K 11, * k 2 tog, yo, k 3, yo, k 2 tog tbl, k 9, repeat from * four more times, k 1.
- Row 7: K 10, * k 2 tog, yo, k 5, yo, k 2 tog tbl, k 7, repeat from * four more times, k 2.
- Row 9: K 9, * k 2 tog, yo, k 7, yo, k 2 tog tbl, k 5, repeat from * four more times, k 3.
- Row 11: K 8, * k 2 tog, yo, k 2, k 2 tog, yo, k 1, yo, k 2 tog tbl, k 2, yo, k 2 tog tbl, k 3, repeat from * four more times, k 4.
- Row 13: K 10, * yo, sl 1, k 2 tog, psso, yo, k 3, yo, sl 1, k 2 tog, psso, yo, k 7, repeat from * four more times, k 2.
DIRECTIONS: Before you begin, download Bonnet-Key. Beginning at ruffle edge with white and straight needles, cast on 184 sts for both sizes.
- RUFFLE: Rows 1-7: Work in Moss st.
- Row 8: (P 2 tog) across row: 92 sts.
- Rows 9-10: Work Contrast Pattern Rows in order.
- HAT SIDES: Rows 11-12: Work in St st with white.
- Rows 13-19: Work pattern from Heart Chart in St st with indicated colors, repeating for nine hearts across.
- Rows 20-22: Work in St st with white, beginning with a WS row.
- Rows 23-36: Work Openwork Heart Pattern Rows in order.
- Rows 37-38: Work in St st with white.
- Rows 39-45: Work pattern from Heart Chart in St st with indicated colors, beginning with a RS row and working nine hearts across.
- Continue working in St st until bonnet measures 3-3/4(4-1/4) inches from first Contrast Pattern repeat (edge of ruffle). Increase 18 sts evenly spaced in next RS row: 110 sts.
- Next Row: Purl.
- Following 2 Rows: Work Contrast Pattern Rows in order.
- CROWN SHAPING: To change to dp needles, with white, k 40 sts onto first dp needle, k 30 sts with second and k rem 40 sts with third. Join, being careful to avoid twisting sts. Work in rounds, using a stitch marker to mark end of round and moving marker as each round is completed.
- Round 1: * K 8, k 2 tog, repeat from * around: 99 sts.
- Round 2 and all even-numbered rounds: Knit around.
- Round 3: * K 7, k 2 tog, repeat from * around: 88 sts.
- Continue to dec 11 sts every other round, working 1 fewer st before each dec until 11 sts rem.
- Cut yarn, leaving an 8-inch end. Draw yarn through remaining 11 stitches, pull tight and weave in end. Weave in all yarn ends.
- BOTTOM CASING: Row 1 (RS): With white and straight needles, have RS facing to pick up and knit 74 sts along bottom edge (ends of rows) from Contrast Pattern at ruffle edge around back of hat to Contrast Pattern at opposite end of ruffle.
- Row 2: Purl.
- Rows 3-4: Work Contrast Pattern Rows in order.
- Rows 5-6: Work in St st with white.
- Row 7: Purl to form turning ridge.
- Rows 8-12: Beginning with a WS row, work in St st.
- Bind off loosely, leaving long yarn end to sew edge in place. Weave in all rem yarn ends. Fold casing in half at turning ridge and stitch edge neatly in place on inside of hat.
- TIE: With dp needle and red, cast on 4 sts.
- Row 1: Knit.
- Rounds 2-4: Slide sts to opposite end of needle, pull yarn across back of work to knit in the round, dec 1 st in Row 4.
- Change to white and continue knitting in the round in the same manner on 3 sts until 29(31) inches from beginning or desired tie length. Change to red, inc 1 in first round, work 4 rounds: 4 sts.
- Next Row: (K 2 tog) twice.
- Last Row: K 2 tog. Fasten off.
- Weave red yarn ends into each end to make each thicker than white portion of tie. Weave in white yarn ends.
- Use a safety pin to thread the tie through the bottom casing, allowing the ends to extend out evenly.
KNITTED BABY BONNET PATTERN – FINISHED SIZE: Bonnet in baby yarn is an Infant size 0-6 months and in sport yarn is an Infant size 6-12 months. Follow directions for both sizes with additional changes for size 6-12 months in parentheses. Bonnet will fit size 12-13(14-15), which indicates the measurement of bonnet sides on baby at edge of face.
- dec decrease
- inc increase
- k knit
- p purl
- psso pass slipped st over
- rem remaining
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Knitted Baby Bonnet Pattern from Dot Dolese of Bellingham, Washington