This accessory is not just a fashionable finish for outfits, it’s also extra easy to complete!
- 2.5 ounces of 2-ply chunky-weight yarn in country blue or desired color
- size 6 (4mm) knitting needles
- size K/10 (6.25mm) crochet hook
- yarn or tapestry needle
- ruler or measuring tape
GAUGE: Working in double moss stitch, 4 sts and 5 rows = 1 inch. A slight variation in gauge will change the finished size of the purse a bit.
Techniques/stitches used: Refer to knitting/crocheting abbreviations below.
Double moss stitch:
- Row 1: [K 2, p 2] across row.
- Row 2: Rep Row 1.
- Row 3: [P 2, k 2] across row.
- Row 4: Rep Row 3.
- Rep Rows 1-4 as directed.
DIRECTIONS: Before you begin, refer to gauge, techniques/stitches used, etc.
- PURSE: Cast on 28 sts.
- Work in double moss stitch until piece is 16 inches long. Bind off.
- STRAP: Working with two strands of yarn as one, use crochet hk to tightly ch 140 or the number of chs needed to make a 40-inch-long strap. Fasten off.
- FINISHING: Referring to the Purse Diagram, fold knit purse piece crosswise, bringing 6 inches up to make a 6-inch-deep fold and leaving 4 inches at the top for the flap.
- Referring to Fig. 1, use yarn or tapestry needle to whipstitch the side seams together. See page 67 for stitch illustration.
- Referring to Fig. 1, use yarn or tapestry needle to sew 1 inch of each strap end securely to opposite seams at top of purse.
- Weave in all loose ends.
- Turn purse right side out and fold flap over front of purse to close.
FINISHED SIZE: Excluding strap, closed purse is about 7 inches high x 6-3/4 inches wide.
Knitted Purse from Susan Garrigues of Yakima, Washington