Add cozy color to any room with this pillow made with a slip stitch--an easy way to combine different shades.
- 4-ply worsted-weight acrylic yarn (Brigitte used Red Heart Super Saver yarn)—one 8-ounce skein each of Cornmeal, Soft Navy and Burgundy
- size 8 (5mm) straight knitting needles or size needed to obtain the correct gauge
- 16-inch square pillow form
- size 16 tapestry needle
GAUGE: When working in St st on size 8 needles, 15 sts and 22 rows = 4 inches. To save time, take time to check gauge.
- St st: All RS rows: Knit.
- All WS rows: Purl.
- Star: K3tog leaving sts on needle, yo, then k the same 3 sts tog again.
FRONT/BACK (make 2): With Cornmeal yarn, cast on 59 sts.
- Top border: Rows 1-4: K across each row. Fasten off at end of Row 4.
- Pillow top: Rows 5-8: With Soft Navy, work in St st. Fasten off at end of Row 8.
- Row 9: With Cornmeal, k 2, make star, * k 1, make star; rep from * across to last 2 sts, k 2: count 59 sts.
- Row 10: P across row.
- Row 11: With Burgundy, k 1, * sl 1, k 3; rep from * across to last 2 sts, sl 1, k 1.
- Row 12: P 1, * sl 1, p 3; rep from * across to last 2 sts, sl 1, p 1.
- Rep Rows 5-12 nine more times.
- Rep Rows 5-8.
- Bottom border: With Cornmeal, rep Rows 1-4.
- Bind off.
- Side borders: With right side facing, pick up 49 sts evenly along ends of rows on one side. With Cornmeal, rep Rows 1-4: count 49 sts.
- Repeat on opposite side.
- Use tapestry needle to weave in all loose ends.
- FINISHING: Place front and back pillow tops together with wrong sides facing and edges matching. Using matching yarn and tapestry needle, whipstitch the edges of the borders together on three sides.
- Insert pillow form and whipstitch remaining border edges together.
FINISHED SIZE: Pillow is about 16 inches square.
Knitting/ Crocheting Abbreviations
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- dec decrease
- inc increase
- k knit
- p purl
- psso pass slipped st over
- rem remaining
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Knitted Stripes Pillow from Brigitte Cornell of Hinesville, Georgia