These popular knitted tube socks are a delight for friends and family come wintertime.
- 6 ounces of acrylic 4-ply worsted-weight yarn in color of your choice
- size 5 (3.75mm) double-pointed knitting needles or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- stitch marker
- tape measure
- size 16 tapestry needle
- two 1/2-inch white shank buttons, white thread and hand-sewing needle (optional)
GAUGE: When working in St st (k each rnd) on size 5 needles, 10 sts and 14 rows = 2 inches. To save time, take time to check gauge.
Stitches used: Refer to knitting/crocheting abbreviations below.
- K 2, p 2 rib: Knit 2, purl 2 ribbing
- Rnd 1: K 2, p 2; rep from * around.
- All remaining rnds: K the k sts and p the p sts.
- Inc 1: Increase 1
- K 1 st without removing it from left needle, then k same st through back of lp and slip it off left needle.
- SOCK (make 2): Rib: With double-pointed needles, cast on 36 sts with 12 sts on each of three needles. Place a st marker between the first 2 sts of first needle to mark when a new rnd begins, slipping marker to next needle with each new rnd.
- With fourth needle, join yarn, being careful not to twist sts. Work in k 2, p 2 rib until piece measures 2 inches long.
- Next Rnds: K each st around until piece measures 7 inches long, including rib.
- Heel Inc Rnd: From first needle, k 10, inc 1 in each of last 2 sts; from second needle, inc 1 in each of first 2 sts, k 8, inc 1 in each of last 2 sts; on third needle, inc 1 in each of the first 2 sts, k 10: count 44 sts.
- Following Rnds: K each st around until piece measures 13 inches long, including rib.
- Toe Rnd 1: K 12, k 2 tog; k 2 tog, k 12, k 2 tog; k 2 tog, k 12: count 40 sts.
- Toe Rnd 2: K each st around.
- Toe Rnd 3: K 11, k 2 tog; k 2 tog, k 10, k 2 tog; k 2 tog, k 11: count 36 sts.
- Toe Rnd 4: K each st around.
- Toe Rnd 5: K 10, k 2 tog; k 2 tog, k 8, k 2 tog; k 2 tog, k 10: count 32 sts.
- Toe Rnd 6: K each st around.
- Toe Rnd 7: K 9, k 2 tog; k 2 tog, k 6, k 2 tog; k 2 tog, k 9: count 28 sts.
- Toe Rnd 8: K each st around.
- Toe Rnd 9: K 8, k 2 tog; k 2 tog, k 4, k 2 tog; k 2 tog, k 8: count 24 sts.
- Toe Rnd 10: K each st around.
- Toe Rnd 11: K 7, k 2 tog; k 2 tog, k 2, k 2 tog; k 2 tog, k 7: count 20 sts.
- Toe Rnd 12: K each st around.
- Toe Rnd 13: [K 2 tog, k 1] around, ending with k 2 tog: count 13 sts.
- Toe Rnd 14: K each st around.
- Toe Rnd 15: [K 2 tog, k 1] around, ending with k 1. Cut yarn, leaving about an 8-inch-long tail. Thread tapestry needle with tail and draw it through loops of 9 remaining sts, removing them from needles. Pull yarn tight to close this end. Weave in loose ends on inside of sock.
- If desired, sew a white shank button onto front ribbing of each sock 1/2 inch from the top, sewing one button to right-hand side of one sock and the other button to left-hand side of second sock.
FINISHED SIZE: Socks fit women’s sizes 7 to 11.
- dec decrease
- inc increase
- k knit
- p purl
- psso pass slipped st over
- rem remaining
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Knitted Tube Socks from Nancy Sorem of Marshalltown, Iowa