Knit this Mitten Pattern to keep out the cold during the cool winter months.
- One skein each of worsted-weight yarn in color of choice and 3-ply yarn in a coordinating color—Lion Brand Yarn Vanna’s Choice in Denim Mist and Bernat Softee
- Baby Yarn in White shown
- Set of four size 8 double-pointed needles or size needed to obtain the correct gauge
- Stitch marker (optional)
- Stitch holder
- Tape measure
- Purchased knitted cuffs in coordinating color of choice—see note
- Matching all-purpose thread
- Standard sewing supplies
K = knit
st(s) = stitch(es)
tog = together
[ ] = Instructions within brackets are repeated as directed.
8 sts and 11 rows = 2 inches. Slight variation in gauge will change finished size a bit.
- Working with two strands of yarn as one, cast on 28(30,32) sts. Distribute sts on three double-pointed needles. Add optional stitch marker and join into a round, being careful not to twist the sts.
- K around until piece measures 1-3/4 inches (or desired length) to base of thumb.
- K 2 sts, place next 5 sts on holder, cast on 5 sts on needle and continue to k around.
- K around until piece measures 5-1/2 inches (or desired length) from start.
- Decrease for top of hand:
- Round 1: [K 2tog, k 2] around: 21(22,24) sts.
- Round 2: K around: 21(22,24) sts.
- Round 3: [K 2tog, k 1] around: 14(15,16) sts.
- Round 4: K around: 14(15,16) sts.
- Round 5: K 2tog around. Cut yarn, leaving a tail. Using yarn or tapestry needle, draw yarn through remaining sts and drop them from the knitting needles. Pull yarn to close and fasten off on inside of mitten.
- Place the 5 sts from stitch holder, 5 cast-on stitches and one st from opposite sides of thumb opening on three needles: 12 sts.
- K around until thumb measures 2-1/4 inches (or desired length).
- K 2tog around: 6 sts.
- Cut yarn, leaving a tail. Close opening of thumb as for top of mitten.
- Weave in all loose yarn ends.
- With right sides facing and a narrow seam, machine-sew a knit cuff to the opening of each mitten. Overcast edges to finish and reinforce seam.
Note: Recycled cuffs from sweatshirts or tops of socks can be used. Or purchase knit ribbing and make your own cuffs.
Finished Size: Children’s small mittens measure about 7 inches around x 5-1/2 inches long without cuff. Changes for medium and large mittens are in parentheses.
Craft originally sent in by Margaret Greenfield of Fridley, MN.