Easy to make from scraps of felt, this owl mask puts the finishing touch on your Halloween costume.
- Craft felt: one 9 X 12-in. piece (or scraps) each of dark brown, yellow, tan and blue
- Six-strand embroidery floss, brown and yellow
- Two 18-in. lengths 3/8-in. brown ribbon
- Low-temperature glue gun and glue sticks
- Tapestry needle
- Download Blanket stitch illustration and owl mask pattern; cut out each pattern piece.
- From tan felt, cut two mask bases. From dark brown felt, cut one large nose piece, two large eyelashes and two small eyelashes. From yellow felt, cut one small nose piece and two medium eyelashes. From blue felt, cut two eye outlines.
- Glue small yellow piece to center of large brown piece for nose and set aside.Arrange eyelash and eye outline pieces on one mask base, referring to placement diagram and glue on.
- Center decorated mask base on blank mask base. Tack in place with glue. Using tapestry needle and all six strands of brown embroidery floss, blanket-stitch around edge of mask bases to join them.
- Using tapestry needle and all six strands of yellow embroidery floss, blanket-stitch around each inner eye outline to secure to mask base. Use glue gun to adhere nose to bottom center of mask between eye outlines.
- Fold over one ribbon end and secure in place with glue. Fold over same end again and secure in place with glue. Repeat on all ribbon ends to avoid fraying. Glue an end of one piece of ribbon to back of mask behind middle eyelash. Glue an end on other piece of ribbon to back of mask behind opposite middle eyelash.
Owl Mask Photo by Country Woman Magazine