Patriotic Picnic Table Canisters
Craft this patriotic table topped with a set of tin cans.
- Tin can in size of choice
- Fabric scraps
- Small sponge brush
- Tacky glue
- Pinking shears (optional)
- Ribbon (optional)
- Remove paper label and wash can with soap and water. Let dry.
- Place can bottom on a fabric scrap. Trace outline onto fabric with pen. Cut out circle and set aside.
- Measure the can’s circumference and height. Add ½ in. to the circumference and
1½ in. to the height. Cut a rectangle this size from fabric.
- Brush a thin layer of glue top to bottom onto about a third of the can; smooth evenly.
- Line up shorter fabric end with glue edge, centering it on the can and keeping the circumference length horizontal to the can. Press fabric snugly against the can, smoothing out any lumps.
- Continue applying glue and pressing fabric against it until the can side is covered. Overlap the fabric and glue in place. Let dry.
- Brush a thin layer of glue about ¾ in. around top inner edge of can. Fold overlapping top fabric onto glue and press firmly into place inside can. Let dry.
- Cut several vertical slits in the overlapping fabric on the bottom of the can. Brush a thin layer of glue about ¾ in. around bottom inner edge of can. Fold over the cut pieces of fabric and press firmly into place. Let dry.
- Apply a thin layer of glue over the entire bottom of can. Center circle fabric piece onto can bottom and press firmly into place, smoothing out any lumps. Let dry.
- Embellish as desired with various lengths of ribbon and fabric strips glued to the covered can.