No matter where you live, this flag-waving project opens the borders to plenty of patriotic fun.
- Size 00 or size C/2 (2.75/3mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain the correct gauge
- tapestry needle
- sewing scissors
- Sport yarn—2-1/2 ounces of white and 1 ounce of red; tracing paper; pencil
- 4- x 5-inch pieces of both red felt and paper-backed fusible web
- Sport yarn—1 ounce each of blue and red and 2 ounces of white
GAUGE: Working in hdc, 6 sts and 4 rows = 1 inch. Working in sc, 6 sts and 6 rows = 1 inch.
SPECIAL NOTES: Refer to crocheting/knitting abbreviations below.
- Changing colors at end of hdc row or within hdc or sc rows: Change colors while completing last st of first color. To join second color: Lay the second color yarn along top of previous row and work last few stitches over it. Work last st of first color as a normal hdc or sc until two lps remain on the hk, yo with second color and draw second color through; drop first color and leave it at back of work.
- Changing colors at end of sc row: Change colors while working ch 1 at beg of row. To join second color: Lay second color yarn along the top of previous row and work last stitches over it. Drop first color, yo with second color and draw second color through for ch 1.
CANADIAN FLAG PLACE MAT: With white, ch 51.
- Row 1: Sc in second ch from hk and in each ch across: 50 sc.
- Row 2: With red, ch 2, turn, hdc in next 10 sts; with white, hdc in next 30 sts; with separate ball of red, hdc in next 10 sts.
- Rows 3-24: Ch 2, turn, hdc in each st across, working red sts above red sts and white sts above white sts. Fasten off all colors at end of Row 24. Weave in yarn ends.
- Row 25: Attach white with sl st in last st of Row 24, ch 1, turn, sc in each st across.
- Border: Work in rounds.
- Round 1: Continuing with white, ch 1, sc around, working 50 sc across top and bottom, 36 sc in end rows of sides and 3 sc in each corner, join with sl st to top of beg sc: 184 sc.
- Round 2: Ch 4, (dc in next sc, ch 1, sk next sc) around, working (dc, ch 1) three times in each corner sc, join with sl st in third ch of beg ch-4.
- Round 3: Ch 4, * (dc in next dc, ch 1) across to 3 corner dc, (dc, ch 1) twice in each corner dc, repeat from * three more times, join with sl st in third ch of beg ch-4.
- Round 4: Ch 4, * (dc in next dc, ch 1) across to 2 corner dc, (dc, ch 1) twice in each corner dc, repeat from * three more times, (dc in next dc, ch 1) in rem dc in round, join with sl st in third ch of beg ch-4.
- Rounds 5-8: Repeat Round 4.
- Round 9: Ch 4, (sc in next dc, ch 1, sc in next dc, ch 3) around to last dc, sc in last dc, ch 1, sl st in first ch of beg ch-4.
- Maple Leaf: TraceMaple Leaf Applique onto tracing paper. Fuse paper-backed fusible web to wrong side of felt, following manufacturer’s instructions. Fold and cut out leaf. Peel off paper backing. Place in center of flag. Fuse in place.
USA FLAG PLACE MAT: With red, ch 52.
- Row 1: Sc in second ch from hk and in each ch across: 51 sc
- Rows 2-3: Ch 1, turn, sc in each st across.
- Rows 4-6: With white, repeat Row 2.
- Rows 7-9: With red, repeat Row 2.
- Rows 10-15: Repeat Rows 4-9.
- Rows 16-18: With white, repeat Row 2.
- Row 19: With red, ch 1, turn, sc in next 27 sc; with blue, sc in next 24 sc.
- Row 20: With blue, ch 1, turn, sc in next 24 sc; with red, sc in next 27 sc.
- Row 21: Repeat Row 19.
- Row 22: Repeat Row 20 with blue and white.
- Row 23: Repeat Row 19 with white and blue.
- Row 24: Repeat Row 22.
- Rows 25-39: Repeat Rows 19-24 twice, then Rows 19-21 once. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
- Border: Attach yarn with sl st in corner st on any side, then repeat Canadian Flag Place Mat Border Rounds 1-9.
- Stars: Add 50 white stars to blue area of place mat, making five rows of six stars with four rows of five stars each between them. Skipping first 2 rows of area, work stars 2 rows high, evenly spacing them across. Make each star as a cross-stitch, then add a 3/8-inch-long horizontal stitch to each.
FINISHED SIZE: Both place mats are about 10-3/4 x 13-1/2 inches.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.