Craft this quick, inexpensive and oh-so-sweet topiary with cute red, white and blue cupcake liners.
- 6-in. square piece Styrofoam
- Serrated knife
- 1 pack white cupcake liners
- Low temperature hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Acrylic craft paint-red, navy blue and white
- Small foam brushes
- Distress ink
- Choice of red, white and blue ribbon
- Clay pot
- Dowel rod
- Sand paper (optional)
- Confetti or paper strips
- Use the serrated knife to cut a 5-1/2-in. wide star out of the Styrofoam. (Jen used her Cricut machine and a piece of card stock to make a star template. Then traced it onto the Styrofoam for a guide.)
- Use hot glue to adhere the cupcake liner bottoms to one side of the Styrofoam star shape. Apply a dot of glue to the bottom of the each liner. Cover the entire surface of the star.
- Use a foam brush to apply dabs of both red and navy blue paint to the edges of the cupcake liners. Let dry.
- Use distress ink on the surface of the dowel rod. Secure at base of star with hot glue. Tie a few pieces of ribbon around dowel rod for decoration.
- Use foam brush and white paint to basecoat clay pot. Let dry. If desired use sandpaper to lightly distress paint.
- Fill clay pot with Styrofoam or other stabilizer. Insert dowel rod centered in clay pot. Top clay pot off with confetti or paper strips.
Patriotic Star Topiary Craft c/o Country Woman’s featured blogger Jen of CraftOManiac.
To read more about Jen and her blog, check out our blog and craft spotlight.