Stunning stars and stripes in this patriotic quilted table runner come together quickly.
- 44-inch-wide 100% cotton fabrics—1/2 yard each of small dark blue print, small dark red print and small gold-on-white print, 1/8 yard of cream-on-cream print, 1/4 yard of gold solid, 1/3 yard of dark blue solid for binding and 1-1/2 yards or a 22-inch x 50-inch piece of coordinating fabric for backing
- 22-inch x 50-inch piece of lightweight quilt batting
- All-purpose thread to match fabrics
- Quilter’s marking pen or pencil
- Quilter’s ruler
- Rotary cutting tools (optional)
- Standard sewing supplies
- Download and print figure 1, figure 2, figure 3 and figure 4 for Quilted Flag Table Runner.
- Prewash the fabrics, washing each color separately. If the water is discolored, wash again until the rinse water runs clear. Dry and press the fabrics.
- Either use marking pen and ruler to mark the fabric before cutting pieces with a scissors, or use rotary cutting tools to cut the pieces as directed in the instructions that follow. Cut the strips crosswise from selvage to selvage unless the instructions say otherwise.
- From small dark red print, cut four 2-1/2-in.-wide strips for pieced stripes.
- From small gold-on-white print, cut two 2-1/2-in.-wide strips for pieced stripes. Also cut three 2-1/2-in.-wide x 14-1/2-in.-long strips.
- From cream-on-cream print, cut six 3-in. squares for star points and three 2-1/2-in. squares for star centers.
- From small dark blue print, cut three 2-in.-wide strips for outer border. Cut six 3-in. squares for star points and four 1-in. squares for corners of inner border. Also cut cut twelve 2-1/2-in. squares for star unit corners and two 1-in. x 2-1/2-in. rectangles for inner border insets.
- From gold solid, cut three 1-in.-wide strips for inner border, four 2-in. squares for outer border corners and two 2-in. x 2-1/2-in. rectangles for the outer border insets.
- From dark blue solid, cut four 2-1/4-in.-wide strips for binding.
- From backing fabric, cut one 22-in. x 50-in. piece.
- Do all stitching with right sides together, edges even, matching all-purpose thread and accurate 1/4-in. seams.
- Press the seams toward the darker fabric unless the instructions say otherwise.
STAR UNIT (make 3):
For each unit you will need: four 2-1/2-in. dark blue print squares, two 3-in. cream-on-cream squares, two 3-in. dark blue print squares and one 2-1/2-in. cream-on-cream square.
- Place a 3-in. cream-on-cream square and a dark blue print 3-in. square together with right sides facing.
- Draw a diagonal line on each light square and sew 1/4 in. from each side of the diagonal line as shown in Fig. 1.
- Cut along diagonal line. Open each to make a 2-1/2-in. square.
- Referring to Fig. 2, lay out the pieces as shown. Sew squares together to make three rows. Then sew the rows together, carefully matching corners to make a 6-1/2-in. square star unit. Repeat to make a total of three star units.
- Sew the long edge of a 2-1/2-in.-wide dark red strip to opposite long edges of a 2-1/2-in.-wide gold-on-white strip. Repeat to make another pieced strip.
- Cut each pieced strip to make three 14-1/2-in.-long strips and three 8-1/2-in.-long strips.
- Sew a 2-1/2-in. x 14-1/2-in. gold-on-white strip to one long dark red edge of each 14-1/2-in.-long pieced unit.
FLAG BLOCK (make3):
- Referring to Fig. 3, sew an 8-1/2-in.-long pieced unit to the right edge of a star unit.
- Sew a 14-1/2-in. pieced unit to the bottom of the joined pieces as shown.
- Repeat to make three flag blocks.
JOINING FLAG BLOCKS:
- Referring to Fig. 4, sew the flag blocks together as shown.
- Measure short ends of runner. Cut two 1-in.-wide inner gold solid border strips to this measurement.
- Sew a 1-in. dark blue print square to opposite ends of short inner border strip.
- Cut one gold solid inner border strip in half crosswise. With edges matching, sew a 1-in. x 2-1/2-in. dark blue print rectangle between each half. Repeat to make another pieced inner border strip.
- With seams matching, pin the rectangles to the center gold-on-white stripe of runner on the opposite long sides of runner.
- Sew inner border strip to opposite long edges of runner, carefully matching corners.
- Trim ends even with short ends of runner.
- Sew the short border strips to opposite short ends of runner, carefully matching corners.
- Measure short ends of runner. Cut two 2-in.-wide dark blue print outer border strips to this measurement.
- Sew a 2-in. gold solid square to opposite ends of each short outer border strip.
- Cut one dark blue print outer border strip in half crosswise. Sew a 2-in. x 2-1/2-in. gold solid rectangle between each half. Repeat to make another pieced outer border strip.
- With seams matching, pin a gold solid rectangle to center dark blue print rectangle of inner border on opposite long sides of runner.
- Sew outer border strip to opposite long sides of inner border, carefully matching corners. Trim ends even with short ends of runner.
- Sew short outer border strips to opposite ends of runner, carefully matching corners.
- With wrong side up, smooth out backing fabric on a large flat surface. Center batting on top of backing. Center pieced runner top right side up on batting. Smooth out all wrinkles.
- Baste layers together both horizontally and vertically every 4 in.
- With matching thread, stitch in-the-ditch of the seams around the stars and the inner and outer borders. Stitch a long wavy design down the center of each stripe.
- Sew around runner 1/8 in. from edges and remove basting.
- Trim batting and backing even with runner front.
- Sew together the short ends of the binding strips diagonally to create one long binding strip. Trim seams, leaving a 1/4-in. seam allowance. Press seams open.
- Trim one short end of binding strip diagonally. Press trimmed end of strip 1/4 in. to wrong side. Press strip in half lengthwise with wrong sides together.
- Sew binding to front of runner with raw edges matching and a 1/4-in. seam, mitering corners and overlapping the ends. Trim excess binding.
- Fold the binding to the back of the runner, encasing raw edges and mitering the corners.
- Hand-sew the fold of binding to back, covering stitching.
FINISHED SIZE: Quilted Flag Table Runner measures about 18 inches wide x 46 inches long.
Quilted Flag Table Runner craft project was originally sent in by Mary Cain of Sun Prairie, Wisconsin.
Craft Project Photo by RDA-MKE.