Wake up your walls with quilted tulips dancing on a sunny backdrop.
- Quilt Patterns (Below)
- 1 yard of paper-backed fusible web (Anita used Heat-n-Bond Lite)
- Quilter’s marking pen and pencil
- Tracing paper and template plastic
- 44-inch-wide 100% cotton fabrics—1-1/3 yards of yellow solid for background,
1-1/3 yards of coordinating fabric for backing, 1/4 yard each of eight different bright mottled prints for flowers, 1/4 yard of light green mottled print for leaves, 2/3 yard each of dark green and medium green mottled print for leaves, binding and self-fabric bias tape
- 11-1/3 yards of 1-inch-wide dark green solid bias tape or same amount of 1-inch-wide bias strips cut from dark green solid fabric
- All-purpose thread to match fabrics
- 1-1/3 yards of lightweight quilt batting
- Fabric glue
- Standard sewing supplies
- Download and print quilt Pattern 1 and Pattern 2.
- Use copy machine to enlarge all patterns on next page 200%. Or mark tracing paper with a 1-inch grid and draw patterns onto tracing paper.
- Trace enlarged flower pattern, stem pattern and leaf pattern 25 times onto paper side of fusible web with pencil.
- Cut shapes apart, leaving a margin of paper around each.
- Following manufacturer’s instructions and with grain lines matching, fuse flowers onto the wrong side of eight bright fabrics, and the stems and leaves onto three different green fabrics. Let cool.
- With matching thread, straight stitch over inside design lines of flowers. Remove paper backing.
- Cut a 43-inch square of yellow solid background fabric.
- Fold background fabric in half twice to find center.
- Pin one flower, stem and leaf right side up to center on right side of background fabric.
- Referring to photo, place eight flowers, stems and leaves around center flower with all the flowers facing the center as shown. The tips of the leaves should touch to make a circle, and the ends of the stems should be tucked under the flower and leaf pieces as shown on the pattern.
- Referring to photo, place remaining flowers, stems and leaves around the circle of flowers, alternating the direction of the flowers and leaving about 1/2 inch between the bottom of the leaves as shown.
- Fuse all flowers, stems and leaves in place.
- With matching thread, satin-stitch along the edges of each stem and leaf, continuing stitching along inside design line of leaves.
- With matching thread, satin-stitch along inside design lines of each flower around outside edge of each.
- With matching thread and a three-step straight stitch (two stitches forward, one back), stitch along both sides of all satin stitching.
- Trace enlarged Celtic border corner and side patterns onto template plastic and cut out following the outside edges.
- Using quilter’s marking pen, trace Celtic border around outside edge, placing center diamond on each side about 1-1/2 inch from center flowers.
- Trace border center 32 times onto paper side of fusible web.
- Cut shapes apart, leaving a margin of paper around each and remove paper backing.
- With grain lines matching, fuse border centers onto wrong side of bright print fabrics.
- From bright prints, cut 32 border centers.
- Pin eight border centers right side up to each side of appliquéd top as shown in photo.
- Fuse border centers in place.
- Fold bias tape or bias strips in half lengthwise with wrong sides facing.
- With matching thread, straight-stitch 1/8 inch from long raw edges of bias tape or strips. Press strips with seam centered.
- Following pattern and photo, pin bias tape in place, turning raw edges under at corners.
- Add second row, going over and under first row and glue or pin to hold.
- With matching thread, straight-stitch close to both edges of each row of bias tape.
- Place backing fabric wrong side up on a flat surface.
- Center batting and then pieced top on backing and smooth out all wrinkles.
- Baste layers together.
- With matching thread, shadow-stitch 1/4 inch from outside edge of center flower.
- Stipple-stitch around center flower out to 1/4 inch from flowers in circle.
- Shadow-stitch around each remaining flower.
- Stipple-stitch around flowers and out to 1/4 inch from Celtic border.
- Shadow-stitch around both sides of Celtic border.
- Stipple-stitch around outside edge of Celtic border.
- Square top, trimming to about 3 inches from diamonds in border.
- Cut five 3-1/2-inch-wide medium green crosswise strips for binding. Sew strips together. Trim and press seams open.
- Press one short end diagonally 1/4 inch to wrong side.
- Press strip in half lengthwise with wrong sides facing.
- Sew binding strip to right side of top with edges matching and a 1/4-inch seam, mitering each corner.
- Hem the short ends of an 8-inch x 36-inch strip of backing fabric and fold in half lengthwise with wrong sides facing. Sew raw edges even with top edge of wall hanging for hanging sleeve.
- Fold binding to back, encasing raw edges.
- Hand-sew fold of binding and fold of hanging sleeve to back of quilt.
Finished Size: Wall hanging measures about 41 inches square.
Craft originally sent in by Anita Legaspi of Snohomish, WA