This red and white checked afghan looks like a summer picnic tablecloth, but is perfect for the holidays.
- 3-1/2-ounce skeins of worsted-weight yarn—six of Christmas Red and seven of White (Sharon used Caron Dawn Sayelle)
- size I/9 (5.5mm) crochet hook
- yarn needle
GAUGE: Using size I crochet hook, each finished square should measure about 3-1/4 inches on each edge.
WHITE SQUARES (Make 84): With white, ch 6, join with sl st in first ch to form ring.
- Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as dc), 15 dc in ring, join with sl st in top of beg ch-3: 16 dc.
- Round 2: Ch 1, sc in first dc, * ch 3, sk next dc, sc in next dc, repeat from * six more times, ch 3, join with sl st in top of beg sc: 8 ch-3 sps.
- Round 3: Sl st into next ch-3 sp, ch 3, dc in same ch-3 sp, * (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) for corner in next ch-3 sp, 2 dc in next ch-3 sp, repeat from * two more times, (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) for corner in last ch-3 sp, join with sl st in top of beg ch-3.
- Round 4: Ch 1, sc in base of ch-1, work sc in each dc and 3 sc in each ch-3 corner sp around, join with sl st in top of beg sc: 8 sc on each side, 3 sc in each corner. Fasten off. Weave in yarn ends.
RED SQUARES (Make 85): With red, ch 6, join with sl st in first ch to form ring.
- Rounds 1-4: Repeat White Squares Rounds 1-4.
- Hold a white and a red square with right sides together. Use white to crochet squares together as follows: Matching sts of each square, begin in a corner sc and sl st to the opposite corner. Add another red square to the opposite side of the white square. Continue strip in this same manner, adding squares horizontally and alternating colors until a row of 13 squares is completed with a red square at both ends. Repeat to complete seven of these red strips.
- Complete six white strips in same manner with a white square at both ends.
- On a flat surface, arrange all 13 strips with a red strip at top and bottom and alternating red and white strips to arrange the 13 afghan rows.
- Place two adjacent strips right sides together and use white to sl st the strips together, matching the seams of each square. Repeat until all strips are added to afghan.
EDGING: Attach white with a sl st in any outer corner sc, ch 1, sc in each sc around, working 3 sc in each outer corner sc st of the afghan, join with sl st in top of beg sc. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
Fringe: Cut 12-inch strands of red and white yarn. Hold one red yarn strand and fold it in half. Using crochet hook, pull the fold from back to front in one outer sc. Insert yarn ends through loop formed, and pull to tighten. Repeat with red strands only in sc sts of the two squares on each side of each corner as shown in photo at left. Repeat around the rest of the afghan, alternating red and white strands on each side edge. Evenly trim yarn ends.
FINISHED SIZE: Afghan is about 44 inches square plus fringe.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Red-Checked Afghan from Sharon Muir of West Chicago, Illinois