In more ways than one, this afghan will add country comfort to your upcoming craft fair.
- Small amounts of worsted-weight yarn in a variety of colors
- 8 ounces of black worsted-weight yarn
- size I/9 (5.5mm) 14-inch afghan hook and size I/9 (5.5mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
- yarn needle
GAUGE: When worked with afghan hook, 16 sts and 15 rows = 4 inches.
BASIC AFGHAN STITCH: Ch required number of sts.
- Row 1 (Foundation Row):
- First half: Sk 1 ch, * insert hk in next ch, draw up a lp, repeat from * across row, keeping all loops on hook. Number of lps will equal number of beg ch sts.
- Second half: Yo, draw through 1 lp, * yo, draw through 2 lps, repeat from * across row.
- Row 2:
- First half: * Insert hk right to left under next vertical st, draw up a lp, repeat from * across row. (Don’t miss the last bar at the end of the row.)
- Second half: Repeat Row 1, Second half.
- Final row: * Insert hk right to left under next vertical st, draw up a lp and immediately pull this lp through one on hk; repeat from * across row. One lp will remain on hk.
- CHANGING COLORS: Remember that the two halves of each row must be finished in order to complete a row.
WHOLE BLOCK STRIP (Make 5): With afghan hk and any color yarn, ch 15.
- Row 1: Work Foundation Row 1 of Afghan St.
- Rows 2-14: Repeat Row 2 of Afghan St with same color.
- Row 15: Repeat First Half of Row 2 of Afghan St with first color, fasten off first color; tie on another color and complete Second Half of Row 2 of Afghan St.
- Rows 16-28: Repeat Row 2 of Afghan St 13 times.
- Row 29: Repeat Row 15.
- Rows 30-197: Repeat Rows 16-29 until 14 blocks in different colors of yarn have been completed.
- Rows 198-210: Repeat Row 2 of Afghan St. Do not fasten off.
- Last Row: * Insert hk right to left under next vertical st, draw up a lp of last color used in strip and immediately pull this lp through one on hk; repeat from * across row. Fasten off. Weave in all ends with yarn needle.
HALF BLOCK STRIP (Make 5): With afghan hk and any color yarn, ch 15.
- Row 1: Work Foundation Row 1 of Afghan St.
- Rows 2-6: Repeat Row 2 of Afghan St with same color.
- Row 7: Repeat Whole Block Strip Row 15.
- Rows 8-20: Repeat Row 2 of Afghan St 13 times.
- Rows 21-202: Repeat Whole Block Strip Rows 15-28 until first half block and 14 whole blocks in different colors have been completed.
- Row 203: Repeat Whole Block Strip Row 15.
- Rows 204-210: Repeat Row 2 of Afghan St seven times. Do not fasten off.
- Repeat Last Row of Whole Block Strip. Weave in all ends with yarn needle.
EDGE FINISHING: With black and crochet hk, sl st into any corner of any strip, sc along long edge, working in end of each row to corner. Fasten off. Repeat on opposite long edge of strip. Weave in all ends with yarn needle. Repeat on remaining nine strips.
ASSEMBLY: With right side of finishing rows up, arrange strips side by side, alternating whole block strips with half block strips.
Hold a whole block strip and a half-block strip side-by-side, both wrong sides up. Use black to whipstitch strips together through posts of sc sts only. Add remaining strips in same manner, alternating whole block and half-block strips.
SIDE EDGING: With afghan right side up and working along long side edge, use crochet hk to join black with sl st in first st in upper left corner of left-hand strip, * ch 3, 3 dc in same st, ** sk next 3 sts, (sc, ch 4, 3 dc) in next st, repeat from ** to bottom, sc in last st. Fasten off.
Join black in lower right corner of right-hand strip and repeat side edging from * along remaining side edge.
Weave in all remaining ends.
FRINGE: Cut 8-inch strands of black yarn. Tie one knot of fringe in every other stitch and in every joining row across top and bottom edges of afghan as follows: Hold three yarn strands together and fold in half. Use crochet hook to pull fold from front to back in one stitch. Insert yarn ends through loop and pull to tighten.
FINISHED SIZE: Afghan measures 45 x 56 inches.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Scrappy Afghan from Ferne Nicolaisen of Cherokee, Iowa