Fashion this trendy accessory and you’ll have a wonderful Christmas gift for friends, teens…just about anyone!
- Bulky weight yarn—three 1.76 ounce (46 yard) skeins of the desired color for scarf (Jane used Caron Glimmer yarn in Red)
- Size 9 (5.5mm) knitting needles
- Yarn or tapestry needle
- Crochet hook (optional)
- Measuring tape
GAUGE: 12 sts and 23 rows = 4 inches. Slight variation in gauge will change the finished size a bit.
- Cut thirty 12-inch lengths of yarn from one skein of yarn. Set yarn aside to use for fringe later.
- Cast on 15 sts.
- Row 1: K across row (RS): 15 sts.
- Row 2: P across row (WS): 15 sts.
- Rows 3-6: Repeat Rows 1 and 2: 15 sts.
- Row 7: P across row (RS): 15 sts.
- Row 8: K across row (WS): 15 sts.
- Rows 9-12: Repeat Rows 7 and 8: 15 sts.
- Repeat Rows 1-12 until all yarn is used or desired length is reached, ending with a Row 6 or 12.
FRINGE: Fold one 12-inch length of yarn in half. Use crochet hook or point of a knitting needle to pull fold of yarn piece through one stitch at a narrow end of scarf. Slip ends of yarn through loop and pull to tighten. Repeat, adding a total of 15 lengths to each narrow end of scarf.
FINISHED SIZE: Scarf is about 5 inches wide x 74 inches long without fringe.
- k knit
- p purl
- RS right side
- st(s) stitch(es)
- WS wrong side
Simple Knit Scarf from Jane Craig