Craft this adorable Snowman Robe Sewing Project from a bath towel found in your home.
- Printable Pattern (Below)
- 28- x 50-inch white bath towel
- Scraps of cotton or cotton/polyester fabric—one 8- x 10-inch piece of orange and two 8- x 9-inch pieces of black
- Two 1/2-inch black pom-poms
- Black buttons—five 5/8-inch and three 1-inch
- 1-inch holly button
- Small amount of polyester stuffing
- Matching thread
- Standard sewing supplies
- Download and print pattern here.
- Seam allowances are all 1/2 inch, unless otherwise indicated.
- Cut two fronts, one back, one hood and two sleeves from towel as shown in the cutting diagram here. Do not cut off hemmed edges. There will be a small piece left over.
- Overcast or serge all raw edges to finish.
- Place front pieces on top of back piece, right sides together, with finished edges of towel at center for center front. Measure 4 inches along top of pieces from outside edge. Stitch 4 inches on each side for shoulder seams. (Unstitched area is neck opening.)
- Fold each sleeve piece in half crosswise to find center. Match this point with shoulder seam of robe, right sides together. Stitch each sleeve to robe front and back.
- Pin front pieces to back piece along sides, right sides together. Stitch along each side and sleeve in one continuous seam. Fold cuff up for smaller child; leave unfolded for larger child.
- Fold 1/2 inch up twice on each short side of hood piece and stitch 1/4 inch away from the fold. Pin long raw edge of hood to neckline, right sides together, and stitch. Bring remaining two finished edges together, right sides facing, and stitch for hood center seam.
- Tack all loose seam allowances to robe to secure.
- Work three buttonholes for 1-inch buttons 3/4 inch from edge along left front edge of robe. Make bottom buttonhole 11 inches from bottom of robe, middle buttonhole 17 inches from bottom of robe and top buttonhole 23 inches from bottom of robe. Stitch a 1-inch button on right front edge opposite each buttonhole.
- Fold 1/2 inch up twice toward the right side along one 8-inch edge of each 8- x 9-inch piece of black fabric. Stitch 1/4 inch from fold. Press.
- For bottom cuff, turn stitched edge up 1-1/2 inches toward right side on each piece and press, but do not stitch.
- Pin the two hat pieces right sides together, matching edges and folds. Stitch sides and top of hat with a 1/4-inch seam, stitching over ends of cuffs. Turn right side out.
- Place hat over point of hood and tack in place. Sew holly button on front of hat.
- Trace nose pattern onto tracing paper and cut out. Place pattern on orange fabric and cut as indicated on pattern.
- Place nose pieces right sides together and stitch with a 1/2-inch seam, leaving bottom open for turning.
- Trim corners and turn right side out. Stuff, leaving 1/4 inch at opening unstuffed. Turn fabric 1/4 inch toward wrong side.
- Place pom-pom eyes, buttons for mouth and fabric nose on hood front to create a pleasing expression. Stitch pom-poms and buttons in place with black thread and nose in place with orange thread.
Finished size: Robe is 41 inches from the tip of the hood to the hem and fits a 2- to 5-year-old child.
Craft originally sent in by Sheryl Koresky of Sterling Heights, Michigan.