Create a touching gift for your sweetie pie with this Valentine’s Day craft.
- Pattern (Below)
- 9-inch x 9-inch piece of 14-count white Aida cloth
- Six-strand DMC floss in colors listed in color key
- Tapestry needle
- 1/3 yard of coordinating fabric for pillow front and back
- 9-inch square pillow form or two 9-1/2-inch squares of unbleached muslin and polyester stuffing for pillow
- Matching all-purpose thread
- 18-inch length of 1-1/2-inch-wide coordinating wire-edge ribbon
- Standard sewing supplies
- Download and print Craft Pattern
- Zigzag or overcast the edges of the Aida cloth piece to prevent fraying.
- Fold the Aida cloth piece in half lengthwise and then in half crosswise and mark where the folds intersect.
- Draw lines across chart connecting opposite arrows. Begin stitching where lines intersect for a centered design.
- Each square on the chart represents one set of fabric threads surrounded by four holes. Each stitch is worked over one set of threads with the tapestry needle passing through the holes.
- The color inside each square on the chart, along with the color key, indicates which color of six-strand embroidery floss to use to make cross-stitches. Wide lines on the chart show where to make backstitches. See Fig. 1 for stitch illustrations.
- Use 18-inch lengths of floss. Longer strands tend to tangle and fray. Separate the strands of floss and thread the needle with two strands for all cross-stitches. Use one strand for backstitches.
- To begin stitching, leave a 1-inch tail of floss on the back of design and hold tail in place while working the first few stitches over it. To end stitching, run the needle under a few stitches in back before clipping the floss close to work.
- When all stitching is complete, and only if necessary, gently wash the stitched piece in lukewarm water. Press right side down on a terry-cloth towel to dry.
- With design centered, trim stitch piece to an accurate 7-inch square.
- From coordinating fabric, cut one 9-1/2-inch x 9-1/2-inch piece for back of pillow. Also cut two 1-3/4-inch x 7-inch pieces and two 1-3/4-inch x 9-1/2-inch pieces for front of pillow.
- With right sides facing, long edges matching and a 1/4-inch seam, sew a 7-inch strip to opposite sides of stitched piece. Open and press seams toward fabric border.
- In the same way, sew remaining fabric pieces to the top and bottom of the stitched piece. Open and press as before.
- Pin fabric for back of pillow to front of pillow with right sides facing and edges matching. Sew around pillow with a 1/4-inch seam, leaving an opening along bottom edge of pillow.
- Insert 9-inch-square pillow form or make and stuff a same-size pillow using muslin squares.
- Turn raw edges of opening in and hand-sew opening closed.
- Tie ribbon piece into a bow.
- Hand-sew bow to upper left corner on front of pillow.
Finished Size: Pillow measures about 9 inches square. Design area measures about 5-1/4 inches high x 5-1/4 inches wide and is 71 stitches high x 71 stitches wide.
Craft originally sent in by Karen Gieselman of Holyrood, Kansas