Turning a plain T-shirt into a pretty top your little girl can wear to the local parade or a family picnic is a simple matter--just add embellishments.
- Size 10 crochet cotton—one ball each of red and royal blue (Karen used Knit Cro-Sheen)
- size 6 (1.6mm) steel crochet hook or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- one package of royal blue rickrack
- hand-sewing needle
- red and royal blue thread
- tape measure
- straight pins
- tapestry needle
- standard sewing supplies
GAUGE: Each flower measures about 2 inches across.
SPECIAL STITCH: Refer to knitting/crocheting abbreviations below.
- Picot: Ch 4, sl st in fourth ch from hk.
- Measure front neckline of shirt between shoulder seams. Add 1 inch to this measurement and cut a piece of rickrack. T-shirt shown measured 11-1/2 inches, so piece was cut 12-1/2 inches.
- Measure lower edge of sleeves and add 1 inch to this measurement to cut two pieces of rickrack. Apply FrayCheck to both ends of each piece. Let dry.
RICKRACK CROCHET EDGINGS: Add crochet edging to each rickrack piece by pushing hk through 1/8 inch from point.
- Row 1: Attach red with a sl knot in first point of rickrack on one side; * ch 4, sl st in next point, repeat from * across, turn.
- Row 2: * (3 sc, picot, 2 sc) in each ch-4 sp across. Fasten off and weave in ends.
FLOWERS (Make four): With red, ch 7, join with sl st to form ring.
- Round 1: Ch 3, 20 dc in ring, join with sl st to top of beg ch-3.
- Round 2: Ch 1, (sc, dc) in next dc; (dc, 2tr, picot) in next dc; (2 tr, dc) in next dc; (dc, sc) in next dc; * (sc, dc) in next dc; (dc, 2 tr, picot) in next dc; (2 tr, dc) in next dc; (dc, sc) in next dc; repeat from * three more times for five petals, join with sl st in top of beg sc. Fasten off and weave in ends.
FLOWER CENTERS (Make four): With royal blue, loosely ch 2.
- Round 1: Work 14 dc in second ch from hk, join with sl st in top of beg dc. Fasten off and weave in ends.
- Referring to photo for placement, pin edging to neckline 1/4 inch below ribbing, folding under ends at shoulders. Pin edging to sleeves so picots touch hem edge, overlapping rickrack at underarms. Add rickrack pieces to shirt, machine-stitching through center of each piece of rickrack, leaving crochet edging free.
- Lightly press flowers and centers. Evenly space flowers below neck edging, matching each to a picot. Use matching thread to sew flowers and flower centers in place.
FINISHED SIZE: T-shirt shown is a Child’s size 6-6X. Any size T-shirt can be decorated in this manner, measuring as directed.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hdc(s) half double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip or skipped
- sp space
- sl st slip stitch
- tr(s) triple crochet(s)
- beg beginning
- lp(s) loop(s)
- rep repeat
- rnd(s) round(s)
- RS right side
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- WS wrong side
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after * or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
- ( ) Instructions in parentheses are all worked in one stitch or space as indicated.
Vintage Crochet Trim T-Shirt from Karen Taylor of Redding, California