Sew ordinary hand towels and felt into imaginative puppets that make bathtime fun.
- Hand towel
- Embroidery floss
- Embroidery needle
- Scraps of craft felt
- Sewing machine
- Standard sewing supplies
- Permanent marker
- Choose a hand towel and felt in colors appropriate for each puppet.
- Fold the towel in half end to end. Place a hand on the folded towel with your arm pointed toward the towel ends and a finger pointed toward the fold. Spread your pinky and thumb as far as possible and, with a wide stroke (approximately 1-1/2-in. from your hand), trace around your hand (like a hand turkey) with the marker.
- Cut through both layers of the towel on the traced line and pin pieces in place with edges matching. Sew around the puppet, leaving a ¼-in. seam allowance. Leave the bottom part of the puppet open for your hand.
- Clip the curves of the seam allowance to increase flexibility and turn right side out.
- Get creative adding features. From felt, cut circles for eyes, funny noses, floppy ears, etc. Hand-stitch with embroidery floss and add extra details with a simple stitch.
Washcloth Puppets Sewing Craft c/o Country Woman’s featured blogger Cathie Filian of Cathie & Steve.
To read more about Cathie and her blog, check out our blog and craft spotlight.
Washcloth Puppets sewing tutorial photos by Cathie Filian.